Notices

But what if I don't want to quit?

Old 12-28-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

But what if I don't want to quit?

Long story short, recently starting trying to quit in earnest and am struggling. I'm using a quit program through my health plan where I call and talk with "quit coaches" and make plans and strategies and they send me free gum (which is nice, not complaining) and written materials I don't read etc., etc.

But I still obsess about smoking, much like I did with drinking. I'm starting to think, or am wondering, if it has to do with using the gum AND patch (per the quit coach recommendations) when maybe I just need to go cold turkey - like I did with booze.

I'm "smoke fee," but I'm not nicotine free. And I still get nicotine cravings, but I chew the gum - and I still want a smoke. It's like - "I need a smoke, but I have to chew this gum instead so I chew the gum and the whole time I'm thinking that a smoke would be SO MUCH BETTER."

Whereas if I try "the bird" I may be ****** for a few days but after that I'm free. Or am I. It's like, hey know how to beat a mental obsession of one addiction, but I can't apply the same principles because the recommended program I'm on keeps me using the drug?

And maybe it's all just ******** and my brain is just being my stupid wanting-to-use brain.

Anyone care to set me straight on this?
Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with you.

Cold turkey for nicotine.

Yank that bandaid (and patch) off!

If you can stop drinking you can stop smoking. I quit cold turkey 22 years ago. There were a few times I struggled, but only for the first couple weeks - and the episodes only lasted a few minutes.

I guess I should add that I had tapered for quite a while, so maybe my withdrawals were lessened, but a lot of it is the behavioral and psychological part anyway. Who knows?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I quit CT. Was a monster, basket case for a couple weeks at least. I had to really dig deep to get past the first maybe month and then not even one puff. My morning coffee was so depressing without my morning smoke. But here I sit 5 years later enjoying a smoke free mug of joe. I bribed myself with little smell good treats in the beginning. And had some good music inspiration too. The last vices are really tough cuz the addicted brain is screaming for its fix but we're stronger than our AV. Good luck! Join us on the 24 hr thread. In my book, smoke free is smoke free, gum or no gum:-)
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

After patches, gum, ecigs etc I finally just tossed it all. At nine months I occasional still want that thump. But, when I sit next to a smoker and smell them..........wow, it's really bad.

Eventually the nicotine has to go away. It kind of reminds me of trying to taper with alcohol which did not work either. Of course, others mileage may vary.........

Pushing 10 months = around 9,000 cigarettes not smoked! Wow.........
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of the cold turkey method too. Nicotine gum/patches/etc. are nothing but a scam IMO. To me that's no different than suggesting somebody with a problem drinking too much vodka switch to drinking beer.

I'll admit to having tried the gum on one of my numerous quit attempts, but cold turkey was what finally worked for me. It might be a couple of rough days, but then you're done with the nicotine withdrawal and can move forward.

I found this website hugely helpful. WhyQuit - #1 quit smoking site

And I don't know that anybody exactly wants to have to quit smoking. It's not the most fun thing. But that's the addiction talking. There are a zillion benefits to quitting- saving money, your health, not being a slave to a drug, etc.

You might want to join our no smoking/nicotine club. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-10-a.html