Notices

Ecig has a .3 % success rate, new study

Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ecig has a .3 % success rate, new study

Yup, the ecig was put to the test. Just a matter of time really and the people who were part of the double blind all were back to smoking except
.3% Just .3% were still smoke free after six months.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Could you please post the link to the study?

I'm sure you'd glean a higher success rate just by asking the ex smokers now Vapers on this forum.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also have a suspicion they aren't quite as safe as we're led to believe...they killed my chest.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been vaping for two years, successfully, and do not smoke at all.

As for safety, hands down they are simply safer than cigarettes. Many confuse lung issues -- hacking, wheezing, etc -- with the effects of e-cigs instead of tobacco cessation.

ARe e-cigs good for you? Of course not. Are the safer than tobacco? Every study I see says they are hundreds of times safer than tobacco. I smoked for decades, was a heavy smoker, and my lung function has increased exponentially since I began vaping.

Mileage may differ.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I could imagine poor results emerging from a study on disposable ecigs but not PVs

Disposables are no long term solution. Ease of access has made them increasingly popular but they aren't quality products, most Vapers start on them and quickly upgrade to durable devices.

Disposables are also costly - in some countries equal to or more than a packet of analogues - this is another reason a smoker may justify relapse.

I call BS on this study regardless.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The problem with ecigs, patches, gums, etc. is that nicotine is not the only substance smokers are addicted to. There are myriad other alkaloids found in tobacco and many play a synergistic role in the satisfaction that a smoker/tobacco user gets. If it was just nicotine, then the delivery system wouldn't matter. People could put on a patch and be fine, or puff an ecig instead and be cured. It doesn't work this way. The brain knows something is missing with these products and there is a compulsion to go back to cigs.

The only way I was able to quit cigarettes was with Swedish Snus. The real stuff, ordered from Sweden. From a harm-reduction standpoint, consider that snus has been used for over 300 years in Sweden with no cases of cancer attributed to this spitless oral tobacco product. Sweden also has the lowest smoking rates of any country. It even tastes good too.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do you mean snuf? The brown stuff you snort?

The other addictive poisons in tailor made cigarettes are out of your system within days of cessation.

Vaping via a reputable device eg a provari, ego, mimicks smoking so effectively that the transition is easy - you just have to get through those few days. Good quality nic is paramount.

Another flaw re disposables is you have no control over your nic levels - by using a PV and buying ready made juices or mixing your own you can easily taper down your intake and wean off nic altogether.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

snus has been used for over 300 years in Sweden with no cases of cancer attributed to this spitless oral tobacco product.

A large study of almost 10,000 Swedish men published in the International Journal of Cancer in 2008 found snus use to be associated with an increase in the rate of oral and pharyngeal cancers, and a slightly increased mortality rate.Other studies and opinion pieces in renowned journals such as the British Medical Journal and the Lancet also suggest the probable risk of oral, pharyngeal and oesophageal cancers as a result of snus use.
Snus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
One of you guys must be wrong, Charlie?

D
Old 03-18-2013, 12:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

double post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Free at last!

I spent at least 30 years trying to stop smoking. I first tried NRT when it came on the market in the UK early 80's I think, acupuncture, hypnotherapy even homeopathy. Nothing worked on me because deep down I was not committed to stopping. I still loved and thought I needed my cigarettes to cope with life.

That is because the only thing that will make you stop smoking is if you really really want to stop. There can be no doubt as with drinking, because in order to get through the initial weeks and cravings you have to be strong. Nothing will completely take away the pain of those first hard weeks, as with stopping the drink, and there will be days that you have to fight hard not to go and get some.

After a while the cravings do lessen and then all but stop. You have to go through the earlier bad stuff to get to the good, but boy is it worth it! Now stopped for 6 months, I have achieved something my addictive voice told me I could never ever do and I feel great.

Having said all that, I have no problem with anything that just has nicotine, as I would rather be using an e cig all day then smoking the 20 + cigarettes I used to and what they did to my health.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here in Aus cigarettes are $20 a pack. The saving alone was incentive enough to transition and if one starts vaping at a higher nic level than you're used to then cravings are usually minimal.