Notices

Day 17 sober and Insomnia

Old 03-19-2019, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17 sober and Insomnia

Hi

I'm day 17 of sobriety and all of a sudden, insomnia has kicked in. 2.30am, cant sleep. I was shattered this evening, didnt give in until bedtime and bang, wide wake.

Is this a delayed response? I have been reading insomnia is.more common in the first few days, but after 2 weeks.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That does seem a bit odd. For me, insomnia was directly connected with physical detox symptoms, and after a week I was sleeping like a baby. Have you tried melatonin? When I was a few weeks sober, my mind was working overtime, so maybe your thoughts are keeping you awake?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me it lasted many months but there was also the fact that I needed to reduce my caffeine intake. Melatonin seems to be helping, too.

Everyone is different. 17 days is just over two weeks which is about how long it takes to rid your body of every drop of alcohol. It may be a few days longer before you sleep normal again, but sooner than later your body will recalibrate. That’s al this is.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SIB

Stay up and go to bed early the next night, that'll fix it.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My brain would never shut down. I found dreamwater helps me most of the time. It is all natural. Its a little bottle like those 4 hour energys. Just dont get them mixed up.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

It's really tough when you have had little sleep the night before but if you can push yousrelf up early the following day that should help some and doing something physical, even if it is just walking for half an hour will help even more.

Unfortunately insomnia is common for us quitters and it took more than 17 days for me but I worked out how to counter it in the end.

Congratulations on 17 days btw!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insomnia can be due to a wide range of factors vinono - hope it's a passing transient thing for you

D
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by WhoDeyPI View Post
That does seem a bit odd. For me, insomnia was directly connected with physical detox symptoms, and after a week I was sleeping like a baby. Have you tried melatonin? When I was a few weeks sober, my mind was working overtime, so maybe your thoughts are keeping you awake?
Everyone is different.

I had medical detox and had been drinking around the clock for several months when I stopped. The medical detox involved a valium taper, so I slept well, and I was also being tapered off my sleep meds (Lunesta). Sleep came and went in waves, after about two weeks once the taper was completed I started sleeping normally. However, I'm a lifelong insomniac and so is my mother and her mother, it runs in our family. I had waves of sleepless nights throughout my recovery, and still have them occasionally. It's just the way I'm wired.

I do have to agree that on nearly every night my sleep quality is far better than when I was drinking.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took melatonin which helped me. I also downloaded the app ‘Calm’ and listened to sleep stories to stop my mind whirring. I’m on 25 days and off the melatonin now as didn’t want to become dependent but still do calm every night. One thing I would say is that although I slept less (especially in weeks 2-3), I still felt good the next morning for being sober!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stopping drinking is definitely a stressful event for your mind & body. I go to sleep with ear buds on, eyes closed, & listen to music.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I usually chime in on this one because sleep is so important.

I also have to share the view that some of us continue to have sleep problems well into sobriety - like me. It's better at 3 yr and almost a month - last yr was very rough. I'm not sharing that to scare anyone - I'm sharing it to say that both trying things to figure out what works is important....and so is acceptance.

Acceptance for me means that I quit taking sleeping pills my dr wanted me to take because they contributed to horrible night sweats - so I wasn't sleeping after all. Other meds are in the AM. I nap - sometimes more days of the week than not- at this point. My body wants to wind down about 9p and be up around 5-530...but I often sleep 2-4 hrs at a time.

I'm healthy, have a team of good drs, at 42 1/2 consider myself beyond fortunate that maintaining my thyroid levels, watching my too-low sodium, and dealing with a back injury are my probs.

GREAT job on 17 days- and remember it's super early. Staying sober is the only way I got better, and remembering that any sleep is better than "drunk sleep" has to be part of my deal, when I get the most frustrated...

Keep going!