Notices

Feeling low

Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling low

Hi there special peeps. Im on day 12 of my sober recovery journey (drank 1 1/2 bottles of wine a day after work, more at the weekend) and yesterday and today i have felt really low and lacking in motivation, especially in the afternoon. I have never felt like this before, is this normal? Xx
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does take longer than 12 days for your body and mind to adjust. So yes, it is normal but I hope you will feel better soon!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Ky.

How are you planning to stay sober?
Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Kyanite! Yes you are detoxing. Pretty heavy duty sulfites in all that wine, think about your liver trying to get that all filtered, like running your car 100,000 miles without ever changing the oil. Nasty stuff.

I like visualizations to make me leave the drink alone. Here's another for you - visualize all that $$ you spent on wine accumulating in your bank account. Mine is getting quite healthy, along with my liver!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sleep when you feel like sleeping, eat what you feel like eating, just take care of yourself however you need to. The lethargy will pass. But you’ll have to be ready with an action plan when it does. I found that when I started to feel better, drinking started to seem like a good idea again. Partly because I had nothing planned to replace all of the hours I spent on my behind with a glass in my hand. Faced with all of that free time, I felt out of sorts.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. It will take a while for you to feel normal again. Treat yourself well; good food, rest, and exercise. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Kyanite, I am feeling the same way, day 5. I was sober for a long time 6 years, and for the last year and half trying to get sober. The things said here are true, treat yourself nice, eat - exercise - sleep - whatever it is to get through. And WHEN you do start to feel better, hold onto that, don't be tempted to drink again, have a plan. That's where my relapses keep coming from, I'll get 30 days in, 60 days at most and I think I can drink like a "normal" person and I can't, I just can't.

Today I am really low, and craving bad, but I keep telling myself, it'll get better. I think I've run out of chances, but I am hoping that's not true. Be nice to yourself and you making that HUGE GREAT change is AWESOME! Be proud. Keep going! It will get better.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kyanite

Yeah emotional and physical ups and downs are pretty much normal for everyone - we beat ourselves up pretty good as drinkers, Support helps tho and you'll find a lot of that here.

You should feel better again soon

D