Notices

Hello - Introduction

Old 03-31-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - Introduction

Hello.

I'm fairly sure I've posted an introduction before (a few months back) but have been unable to find it!

My name is Cassandra (Cassie), and for a few years I have had a drink problem. I am currently attending AA which has helped so much, but at the reluctance of my Father. Every time I go (around twice a month) he says 'right you off joining the 'Alkies' tonight' I find it totally derogatory to call the amazing support group I go to 'Alkies'. I feel so bad about going, but the people there have helped me so much. My Dad attended 'Al-Anon' but was asked to leave. (He had a lot to say about people, and whilst not aggressive, upset a few people - I think his last words were something along the lines of 'you all just need hobbies, I do change management for a living, and seen such a change in individuals (I just wanted to scream at this point)...' - A gentleman responded (rightly so,) and stated 'she's not one of your little projects')

Anyway, back to me. I'm 29, from the UK, a Model and Lawyer (ironic I know... I am destroying my looks, and my career is suffering). I function fine during the day, but come 6pm the wine comes out (I always justified it with - 'Oh, it's a £17.00 bottle of Chablis... I can't be a Alcoholic as I'm drinking it with my Smoked Salmon, and spinach salad... - For anyone who wants a laugh...!) The problem is, I cannot stop at one glass. I have, to have five.... Or more..... (I always manage to leave a glass in the bottle...) I
Old 03-31-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cassie, welcome back. My opinion is if drinking is negatively affecting your life then it's a problem; no matter how much you consume.

Most of us here share the problem of not being able to stop once we have the first drink; i know I fall into that category.

First and foremost, you need to set your goals and make a plan. If sobriety is what you want, then use every resource available to you that works for you; AA, SoberReocvery, etc. Don't let anyone deter you from achieving your goal, not family or friends.

You've got the strength to break this cycle, use everything in your power to make it happen, and don't listen to negativity from anyone.

We can help you through the tough times.

Glad you found your way back.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Cassie6...glad you are here. Drinking is progressive and maybe you can manage to leave a glass in the bottle now at age 29...but what happens in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years...?

It sounds like you have found a great support group and you need to do what is best for you despite what anyone else thinks?
Old 03-31-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cassie
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cassie, Welcome back and I'm glad you're working on recovery. I think keeping some distance from your father might be a good idea until you feel stronger. You absolutely should not feel bad about going to AA or doing anything that will help your recovery.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Cassie! Sending hugs
Old 03-31-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I too would advise avoiding your dad if he's going to be so negative and unkind.

Don't feel badly about going to AA. Whatever works for you, keep on doing it.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Cassie. I could never stop at one either - with disastrous results. I waited much to long to take action - I'm glad you're ready to make this change.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Cassie and thanks for the introduction.
Jonathan
Old 03-31-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cassie,

I detect humor in your post.

Hopefully, not wrong.

Being an alky is a term that offends people...like me...

I prefer addict...

We are addicted to booze like a crackhead is to crack.

So much simpler for me to get my head around and fight for my life.

Your Dad might relate better to that.

We have physical addiction, followed by mental addiction.

I am over the physical, dealing w the mental.

For me, the brain damage i did to myself w booze....anxiety/paranoia is getting better each day.

Get clean. Stay clean. Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back Cassie!!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Cassie & welcome back.

I convinced myself I wasn't an alcoholic by buying posh wine.
I convinced myself I wasn't an alcoholic by throwing the last glass of every bottle down the sink.
I convinced myself I wasn't an alcoholic by attending AA and hearing some pretty horrific stories I couldn't relate to.

So I carried on drinking until it came to a point I no longer wanted the poshest wine, I wanted the strongest wine.
I stopped pouring the last glass away, in fact I'd open another bottle.

As with many, my drinking got progressively worse with time.
I was never blessed with model looks but I have got a twinkle back in my eye now.

Good luck to you on your journey, if AA helps surely you can just ask your dad to respect that?