Notices

I thought I could do it...

Old 06-28-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought I could do it...

So here I am again. Three years of mostly lurking on this forum and rarely posting a thing. I'd come here when I would drink and read posts to know that there were others like me. It gave me comfort.

I thought I could do it... You know, stop drinking by myself. I even went on Antabuse willingly. The doctors at the clinic were shocked and couldn't comprehend why anyone would willingly ask for the medicine. After 30 days, I stopped and thought I was cured. That was until a little over a week ago. A few drinks with friends would be ok, right? Wrong.

That mistake turned into a 5 day mess. When I came to my wife and child were gone. I knew then it was time to get help once and for all. No more promises or false attempts. It was time to get real treatment.

Last week I joined an outpatient program. I went to my first group yesterday and for the first time in years I felt like I was going to get the help I've always needed.

I'm not sure why I needed to write this. I just know there are so many people on this forum that are hurting. I want all of you to be able to see hope. Please don't do this alone.

I still have a long journey but feel so empowered to have taken that first real step.

DNVR
Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great to know you are moving in a good direction. I hope you can work things out with your wife.
Please post now and then and let me know how you are progressing.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks FLCamper! I will be sure to do that.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh DNVR, what a message of hope. I truly hope you join these pages, not just for you, but for us. Bless you and thank you for sharing a bit of your story.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you as well Faker! Your response meant a lot. It truly did.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and I can say I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me for me to wake up and realize I have to fix this issue or I lose it all. Literally! My wife just came back earlier this week after being gone for a week. The kids are gone but that was originally the plan from months ago to be with grandma for part of the summer, so they didn't have to see my drunken rampage. I've finally admitted to myself that I can't drink EVER. Not just take a break...which I have then I try to drink again and FAIL like crazy.

You can do this if I can. I've been sober for about 5 days now. I'm back on my meds and going back to therapy this week.

Originally Posted by DNVR View Post
So here I am again. Three years of mostly lurking on this forum and rarely posting a thing. I'd come here when I would drink and read posts to know that there were others like me. It gave me comfort.

I thought I could do it... You know, stop drinking by myself. I even went on Antabuse willingly. The doctors at the clinic were shocked and couldn't comprehend why anyone would willingly ask for the medicine. After 30 days, I stopped and thought I was cured. That was until a little over a week ago. A few drinks with friends would be ok, right? Wrong.

That mistake turned into a 5 day mess. When I came to my wife and child were gone. I knew then it was time to get help once and for all. No more promises or false attempts. It was time to get real treatment.

Last week I joined an outpatient program. I went to my first group yesterday and for the first time in years I felt like I was going to get the help I've always needed.

I'm not sure why I needed to write this. I just know there are so many people on this forum that are hurting. I want all of you to be able to see hope. Please don't do this alone.

I still have a long journey but feel so empowered to have taken that first real step.

DNVR
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hope you only go up from what it seems was your bottom that you just hit. Please stick around and let us know your progress, unfortunately a lot of people diseapear after a few months and I wonder how they are holding up.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

@gettight15 I'm so glad she came home to you. That has to feel really great. Congrats on your 5 days! We have so many more ahead of us.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, DNVR! You sound like you are moving in a positive direction. Each of us has different needs for what it takes to get sober and stay that way. I went through an outpatient program a little under a year ago and found the things I learned to be enormously helpful. Reading and posting here, especially in my "class" thread, has been a lifesaver. And to top it off, I've made some good friends here.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back DNVR

D
Old 06-29-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you DVNR
Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dnvr, you can do it buddy. It Takes some time and practice but if you push through the first few months you will see why being sober is the better choice.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Awesome! It takes what it takes, right? Glad you are here and looking forward to hearing about the things to come. Welcome!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back DNVR!!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
I hope you only go up from what it seems was your bottom that you just hit. Please stick around and let us know your progress, unfortunately a lot of people diseapear after a few months and I wonder how they are holding up.
Ditto. And just an FYI, go back a few years on this site and you will find out, some didn't make it back at all. And never will.

The serious threat of my wife leaving me snapped me out of it. It was game over for me and the excess alcohol consumption. best wishes to you.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, DNVR, and I'm glad you're working on your recovery.