Notices

Breakthrough

Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Breakthrough

This morning while laying awake with my thoughts something came to mind that I hadn't realized.

I'm going to be ok without alcohol.

Yes I said it and I mean it. My minds clearer then it's been in years. I know I'm early, only day 9 of a million try's to stop drinking. But there's something about being sick of being sick that's no longer working. It hasn't for many years.

I know I have lots of work to do still. It all begins with not drinking today. Not buying beer. Not surrounding myself with drinkers. Something about that seems doable.

Reading here and thinking of things I've read has been priceless to me. I encourage anyone struggling to keep at it. Let's all do this together
Old 11-09-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are right. You will be fine with out alcohol.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had similar thoughts this morning, and I'm enjoying a very sober, lazy Sunday. Today is day 5 for me, and I'm actually looking forward to this evening, a movie and my tea (I drink valerian root nighttime tea whenever I feel anxious and want a drink, I really enjoy it I check back here every few hours tho, every time doubt starts to creep in, whenever I want a cold one. I look forward to reading everyone's posts every day. We really can make this change a lifetime one... Keep it up
Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am struggling at 10 months sober. Mainly it's due to social isolation and boredom. Drinking was so much a part of my life for a long time that don't know what else to do in my spare time. The after work drinks with co-workers is not an option, neither is hanging out on Sundays watching football and having beers with buddies.

Being a single recovering alcoholic at 38 sucks. One day at a time!!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am struggling at 10 months sober. Mainly it's due to social isolation and boredom. Drinking was so much a part of my life for a long time that don't know what else to do in my spare time. The after work drinks with co-workers is not an option, neither is hanging out on Sundays watching football and having beers with buddies. Being a single recovering alcoholic at 38 sucks. One day at a time!!
I feel you there, I'm 26 and all my friends drink no matter what we are doing. I get bored in the evenings especially and struggle when I'm alone and when I'm out. So u aren't alone there... Pm me if you get too bored
Old 11-09-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am struggling at 10 months sober. Mainly it's due to social isolation and boredom. Drinking was so much a part of my life for a long time that don't know what else to do in my spare time. The after work drinks with co-workers is not an option, neither is hanging out on Sundays watching football and having beers with buddies. Being a single recovering alcoholic at 38 sucks. One day at a time!!
Congrats on 10 months. Boredom can be a really tough one to get through. Do you have hobbies? I have a friend who got sober while building model cars. He spent his free time doing that and sold them on eBay.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

I'm the same as some others. Not sure if it's total boredom but I'm suffering from short attention span. I used to drink while watching to that was most of the day and later I would read. Now I can't seem to relax watching a full program. I'm on day 12. Good job on everybody's sober time xx
Old 11-09-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first quit drinking, I wondered what I was going to do with myself if I didn't drink. Then I discovered I can do anything I want, and do it better, to boot.