Notices

Thinking of buying booze and hiding it

Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thinking of buying booze and hiding it

I'm thinking about it, but I'm not going to do it. I don't like thinking sneaky thoughts like that - buy it and hide it from my partner and roommate. These thoughts just butt in when I was doing well tonight. I know it's not taking that action that will help me kick the habit. But I don't like the anxiety of repeating those crappy ideas that I don't want to do, but my brain just keeps reverting back to any way to get booze.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

JadeSatellite, please don't do it, rooting for ya.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
getting there

I'm having some of those intrusive thoughts tonight too - the usual "you could just drink a bottle and no one would notice by morning". I'm trying to keep track of what feelings, thoughts, moments cause these thoughts so I can be better prepared for the next time.

Don't do it! But you already know that
Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coming here and sharing those thoughts is a great way to deal with it for starters.

Just remember what brought you here, and think about where that bottle will lead you.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like I said, I'm not going to do it. I frankly am sick and tired of the bullsh*t that drinking has brought. I can't control it, so I am going to erase it from my life, and buying and drinking booze is not an option - at all. I just don't like feeling those feelings of craving and urges. They're so damn intrusive. Too bad there isn't an 'off' button.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
getting there

I'm constantly amazed when I look around at all the stupid, destructive, dangerous things that I do when I drink, and still find myself wanting to go out and do it again. It irritates me beyond words.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my god, I know, it's just *stupid* to have this inanimate thing have such control, and even when you stay away from it, it has a hold on you still. It makes me wish I had never drank in the first place.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hate these thoughts too but I find that talking about it helps!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
getting there

I know! Sometimes I go back to that first party in college and want to shake myself and say "don't do it, you have no idea what you're getting into!"
Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started having a problem drinking when I was with an abusive partner. I was with them 5 years, and it got bad when I started drinking gallon jugs of wine just to forget, and so I would be passed out when she got home. It just got worse lately. It seems that a lot of stress brings on the urge to drink for me. Now *not* drinking causes stress.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
getting there

I used to think I could pinpoint the situations that caused me to drink. Now I think that I make any situation into an excuse to drink. Had a great day - ride the wave with some chardonnay. Had a terrible day - drown it in some chardonnay. Nervous about something - relax with some chardonnay.

I'm pretty sure Yellow Tail is about to go out of business.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No half measures

The problem with that theory is that you cannot hide it from yourself. Every morning I have to wake up and look at myself in the mirror. I quit drinking for my job, my wife, my health the law but most importantly I quit for me. the only person I have to answer to today is me. If the person looking back at me knows that I'm sober today its going to be a good day