Notices

Inner child stuff?

Old 10-05-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inner child stuff?

I am newly sober and I have been dealing with a bunch of challenges in my life without alcohol which I am pretty proud of. But one thing I have been noticing lately is for lack of a better term, my inner child, this part of me that wants nurturing so desperately is asking for things like naps, cookies, comfort items, and other simple pleasures that I haven't thought much about since I was a child.

I am just wondering if other people have had this experience in their recovery? Was it temporary or did it become a new way of life?

My dreams have been pretty eye opening lately too. Just wondering if maybe I am starting to deal with some deep emotional stuff that had been stuffed down since I started drinking and now is starting to come up.

Also, I notice that I have resistance to nurturing myself when this part of me is asking for it but I am starting to think that giving in to these innocent urges will do me some good, even if I can't say why.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done for dealing with those challenges without picking up
Yes! I can SO relate to the inner child - have had to reign her in a little, as my jeans were getting a little tight from all the ice-cream and sweets etc
Old 10-05-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

As long as your inner child isn't leading you down the wrong path, indulge!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Flying, absolutely do these things. Yes! Treat yourself well. You deserve to be happy and nurtured. Yes!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read somewhere to listen to your emotions as you havn't felt them for so long, to sleep when tired, eat when hungry etc etc & that is what I have tried to do but yes my jeans are getting a little tight now too Skyesea!!!!
Once I feel I am over the worst & feel stronger then I will worry about getting healthy!

Treat yourself & good luck x
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I think there is a lot of stuff to go through in recovery. Living with ourselves can take time to get used to and there is stuff to work through and learn. Its all an adventure. Things become more even in time.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There is a difference between childish and child like. Just be careful. Like drinking, it is much easier to quit what we don't start doing to excess to begin with.