https://youtube.com/shorts/4N6HPnIk4...PkPxbJo7_zLAAN

Last edited by Dee74; 02-27-2024 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Fixed
Old 02-27-2024, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My links never work 🫣
Old 02-27-2024, 12:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Is it something about Why do you feel burnt out?
Old 02-27-2024, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

lol every time I smoke a cigarette I'm spiking my dopamine No wonder I'm miserable.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks KP

D
Old 02-27-2024, 01:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Is it something about Why do you feel burnt out?
Yes, but I found it interesting that dopamine spikes don’t just happen from doing ‘bad stuff’… it’s also just being busy ‘doing stuff’. Which can make you eventually sort of dopamine-resistant.

I watch a lot of Andrew Hubes stuff and he recommends dopamine detoxes. Small periods of time where the actual AIM is to ‘get really bored’!!

My kind of nightmare!!! 😂😂
Old 02-27-2024, 01:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Okay, that's what I came up with from your link. But, looks like Dee posted a clickable one for you.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
Okay, that's what I came up with from your link. But, looks like Dee posted a clickable one for you.
Oh good, thanks Dee, I seem to mess up posting links. Although not sure why that happens.
Thanks for letting me know, Suki xxx
Old 02-27-2024, 02:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It does make lots of sense about dopamine.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for this kp.

This is something I've been hearing about a lot recently in my delving into recovery/wellness etc.

I definitely think the modern world is so overestimating and full on, it's like there's just too much all the time! I sometimes feel like I should be doing something positive on a constant basis but maybe that's just chasing the next dopamine hit whereas actually it might be better to learn how to accept a bit of boredom occasionally.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like much of my 30s. Most of my drinking was on the weekends by then. I guess its kind of unbelievable that I could go years at a time in active alcoholism without a sick day from work. It was always run, lift weights, work, healthy diet all week. Then drinking on the weekends which would sometimes lead to crack cocaine which would lead to opiates to come down.

I think much of the problem was the drinking and druggin artificially wringing out a bunch of dopamine at once.

Taking a rest, like holidays or vacation was pretty much putting work, diet, and exercise on the back burner and daily drinking for a little while. Looking back i was always drained AFTER a rest!
Old 02-27-2024, 05:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's similar to what I've suggested here and in other places many times. Sometimes doing nothing and being content in the moment is enough. It's simple in that the more pleasure you experience the further you're willing to go and do for more pleasure, even if there are negative consequences. The issue is with the threshold and the apparent deficiency/deprivation if pleasure isn't present one hundred percent of the time.

We're hardwired to rise in the morning with sunlight and go to sleep and or rest when the sun goes down. I believe many simply think for some reason if you're awake and not happy and experiencing pleasure there is something wrong. Contentment and boredom are the same it's the perception that makes it different.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That makes sense. As I come to fifty days of being sober there are days like today, when I’m finished work. I’ll think “wow. I’m not as happy as I should be”. But the truth is, I’m content. It’s just quiet. There’s no wine to look “forward” too. It’s not good or bad. Nothing is “wrong”. It’s just that I’m experiencing new things including just “being”. And sometimes just “being” is neither really amazing or really awful. It’s just sort of meh. Which is good. I am content. I just haven’t experienced this being sober.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I understand Peke.

I developed an extremely warped falsehood that I truly believed if was not jumping up and down happy then to hell with the world and everyone. And then mix and bake that into alcoholism it's a very nasty perception for anyone to acquire.

Looking back now I can see that I was a narcissistic very self-centered individual if any good from being that I never turned extremely violent. I guess when I exhausted all the anger I turned into the most anxious and panic-fueled individual a total inversion. I could see myself making bad decisions and still chasing the drink or the "pleasure". I view life as being most mediocrity (nothing wrong at all with that word ties into being content) one extreme being suffering and the opposite end being pleasure. It's the only way things that make sense to me.

Pleasure is a short term through substances and certain behaviors, and happiness is contentment that is long term and doesn't come from substances and certain behaviors.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
Thanks for this kp.

This is something I've been hearing about a lot recently in my delving into recovery/wellness etc.

I definitely think the modern world is so overestimating and full on, it's like there's just too much all the time! I sometimes feel like I should be doing something positive on a constant basis but maybe that's just chasing the next dopamine hit whereas actually it might be better to learn how to accept a bit of boredom occasionally.
Exactly! I swear that when we are born, every single person should come with a ‘dopamine’ manual. It’s so important to get it right and we just never knew this information. Now we are having to try and fix something that we never got told how to manage in the first place. I have been reading about brain chemicals a lot (I am a bit of a nerd like that) and I keep meaning to do a post about it. But I don’t want to put SR to sleep 🤣😂 Plus I keep finding out new things and having “No waaay” moments 🤣🤣 …I’m easily interested in stuff. Dopamine is probably to blame for that as well. 😂

xxx
Old 02-28-2024, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RecklessDrunk View Post

I think much of the problem was the drinking and druggin artificially wringing out a bunch of dopamine at once.
Yeah, Reckless, totes! My booze & drug taking would fry the shite out of my dopamine. Really hard to bounce back from. And getting back on it again did nothing because I had no dopamine to release! A horrible cycle. A blur of extreme highs, lows and chasing the unobtainable. Exhausting for the small proportion that was fun.

Old 02-28-2024, 12:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pekelover2 View Post
That makes sense. As I come to fifty days of being sober there are days like today, when I’m finished work. I’ll think “wow. I’m not as happy as I should be”. But the truth is, I’m content. It’s just quiet. There’s no wine to look “forward” too. It’s not good or bad. Nothing is “wrong”. It’s just that I’m experiencing new things including just “being”. And sometimes just “being” is neither really amazing or really awful. It’s just sort of meh. Which is good. I am content. I just haven’t experienced this being sober.
Congrats on 50 days Peke!! xxx
Your comment makes so much sense to me. It’s strange feeling so ‘neutral’. Just like you say, no good or bad sometimes, just meh. You sound better at being content with ‘the neutral’ than I am, you’re doing so well! Teach me how to be more content! 😁 xxx
Old 02-28-2024, 12:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joe801 View Post

I view life as being most mediocrity (nothing wrong at all with that word ties into being content) one extreme being suffering and the opposite end being pleasure. It's the only way things that make sense to me.
How did you achieve this, Joe? I am still, to a degree, chasing pleasure (just, now not via substances). I just kind of want to be ‘up’ all the time. I am gradually levelling out, but I’m still pretty much either pink cloud or grey concrete. And I hate being bored. How do I get better at ‘just being’? xxx
Old 02-28-2024, 06:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

KneePads, it will be hard to express the answer. I'll enjoy the challenge. Every analogy that I think doesn't quite fit. I will sleep on this and hopefully have a decent answer tomorrow.

For me, the pink cloud has always represented something out of reach, somewhere that someone would like to be, a means of escape. Perhaps even an imaginary place and state of being.

Concrete being hard and boring it's a stable surface to build on, raise a family, and live a life. I guess one of the two is already in reach. It's mainly perception and perspective.

I'll try and have a better answer because I'm not satisfied with this one. I may be chasing a better answer when there isn't one.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^ I like the grey concrete analogy! Solid and stable. Yes. I can work with that to a degree…