Notices

New here

Old 02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Hi Guys, I have been trying to give up drinking for a while now, the longest I have gone is about 10 days. It is really starting to get me down. I did four days, now have been drinking for the last two days. I just can't seem to say no the the AV when it is in my head. I feel awful, and ashamed of myself. I finally decided to join the forum instead of just reading it, and just maybe having some support will help get me quit for good this time. I would appreciate any support
Old 02-20-2013, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((chanty)) - Welcome to SR! I think if you read around here, you will not only find out that you're not alone, you will get some good pointers and strength from those who have walked your path.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome chanty

I think support is important...reaching out is another choice to take instead of drinking.
You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

There is lots of support here and we do understand how hard this is.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you! I appreciate all your support. Im feeling confident that I won't drink tonight, looking forward to tomorrow with no hang over, today has been a shocker!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Hi Guys, I have been trying to give up drinking for a while now, the longest I have gone is about 10 days. It is really starting to get me down. I did four days, now have been drinking for the last two days. I just can't seem to say no the the AV when it is in my head. I feel awful, and ashamed of myself. I finally decided to join the forum instead of just reading it, and just maybe having some support will help get me quit for good this time. I would appreciate any support
We must b twins I've only done 10 days before I joined AA been sober a week I would have drank by now thanx to this site and meetings I'm sober today feel like there is hope cause I'm not alone and u guys get it I'm here for u stay strong it's hard hey I understand totally x
Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're not alone, and AV doesn't care one whit about you. Couldn't care less one way or the other. But we do care, so keep chiming in, and there are plenty of resources to avail yourself of here. It's like a smorgasbord, so if one doesn't work, try another.

I've never seen so many resources in one place, so I thank the moderators once again.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR chanty
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR chanty

The first few days are hard but it really does get better,even after the first week I noticed a huge difference. As time goes on the cravings do lessen too. For the first few days I just did anything to avoid drinking and spent most of my time on SR
Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you for your encouraging words, I cant say that enough! It is so nice waking up without a hangover! I plan on spending a bit of time on here today, you are right Renaldo, it is a smorgasbord. I have my brother in laws birthday tonight, so that will be hard, but I have will just say I plan on running in the morning before it gets hot, so no to the offers of wine, there are always plenty in this family. Hey Liss74 lets do this together!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good luck Chanty, I'm on day 4. Things are already a bit better with my family
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad you joined the forum discussion! Whenever I get an urge to drink I always to try to figure out "why". Why do I want to drink when I know I cannot drink in moderation and the end result is always baaaadddd. I've experienced being bored, needing attention, feeling sorry for myself, wanting to be "normal" like everyone else, angry at someone, and thinking I've put enough time aside not drinking that I deserve to have one...to just name a few of the "why" reasons. I suggest also staying as far away from alcohol as you can when you are feeling like you want to drink. Don't go to a bar, store, or anyplace serving it; that has always helped me. I also don't have alcohol at my home; too tempting.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay strong canty its hard at 1st,im on 5 weeks sober u dont want to get,to where i was doc said u keep drinking the way u r you'll b dead,in 6months and im only 34 and i cant drink ever again,so good luck

Had a good day today got good film on latethr but its one them films i always had a drink with,i no i can do it not on till 11pm have hope who ever reads this.