Notices

My final Detox Tomorrow

Old 01-11-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My final Detox Tomorrow

Has anyone had experience with Lorazepam during alcohol detox? I've never taken it, and will be starting it tomorrow morning as part of my freedom from this terrible substance.

I would also like to state that in the last few days I have made a long term plan entailing these details. (if anyone has ANYTHING to add, I beg you to help by posting things that have helped you)

1. I have told my family and closest friends that I'm an alcoholic.
2. I have begun AA and am already on step 4. :-)
3. I have SoberRecovery.com
4. I have begun therapy for underlying issues that may have contributed to or caused this alcoholism.
5. I have a new job that preaches 100% sobriety due to government contracts. No alcohol or drug triggers at work. This was a big one.
6. I have a new route home from work, that puts my normal liquor store out of sight on the way home.
7. No more drinking out of big glasses. (vodka tonic is my choice drink) Only Tervis tumblers and coffee mugs.
8. I have a list of benefits of drinking vs. benefits of quitting, and believe me the latter is much more rewarding.
9. I have a doctor assisted detox regimen and anti craving pills.
10. I have the will. I have learned throughout the last few months that the thing that needs changing is me. I needed to have more drive to stay sober, and needed to realize the benefits of sobriety.

These aren't in order, these are just a list of things I've done in the last few months. A few of these are only days old and have only been created because they've caused a relapse. I've done detox several times, so I don't care to hear about that. It'll suck but it's doctor assisted and I'll suck it up and be fine.

I'm really hoping for support on this post because I'm already extremely sad about today, and am basically writing tonight off as another wasted night, another waste that I could have spent with my beautiful 5 month old and gorgeous, caring affectionate wife.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh and I have the link that carol posted about tips on staying sober, so no need to add that. I'm looking more for how YOU did it. If it helps, I'm the guy that gets trashed and plays video games alone at home. I'm a 5:00 pm drinker, not the all day type. I stick to myself and my family with this worthless substance. Not sure if that will help anyone share their experiences, but I am humbly (Like I am in AA) asking for tips on how you got sobriety. How you defied the odds and got past this horrid addiction that wrecks lives daily.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with that drug but I wish you best for tomorrow Justin.

I basically had a drive to be a better me. I could try to be the kind of man I wanted to be, or I could drink, but not both

D
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope ScottFromWI reads this. :-) He was very interested in me having a long term plan, and I promised a post on this tonight. I hope it gets his approval as his and Dee74's guidance and suggestions have probably done more than therapy has for me....
Old 01-11-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You don't need anyones approval Justin

D
Old 01-11-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I detoxed with ativan/lorazepam. It certainly wasn't painless, but it did it's job, i.e., keeping me from seizing out and dying.

Personally, I quit by going to inpatient rehab and then throwing myself into AA. So far, so good. My obsession to drink is gone. I have my life back. I have rediscovered the feeling of happiness.

It really came down to my will to live. I drank like I had a death wish. But I didn't want to die, so something had to give. As long as I don't drink, I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to wake up the next morning.

This is a progressive and fatal disease. Emphasis on the fatal.

Sounds like you have a good plan moving forward. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You don't need anyones approval Justin

D
No dee, I don't. But you and Scott in particular were very knowledgeable in relapse and relapse prevention, so your opinions matter to me a lot. (so do everyone else's)
Old 01-11-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by digdug View Post
It really came down to my will to live. I drank like I had a death wish. But I didn't want to die, so something had to give. As long as I don't drink, I don't have to worry about whether I'm going to wake up the next morning.
This is exactly where I am. This is why I KNOW tomorrow will be the last detox. Very well said.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Also, someone on Sober Recovery told me to write down every time you relapse and write the reason down. This is how this list came to being. All of these things triggered me to drink directly or indirectly. Maybe this list can help someone.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Must not be many people on or my plan is good. :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by justinJustQuit View Post
No dee, I don't. But you and Scott in particular were very knowledgeable in relapse and relapse prevention, so your opinions matter to me a lot. (so do everyone else's)
I'm just a guy trying to stay sober like you Justin, and I was in your shoes about a year ago. You don't need my approval either like Dee mentioned. What you will find here are lots of ideas and suggestions to help you get and stay sober. What's most important is finding what works for you, and it sounds like you have a great plan to start with tomorrow. My only other suggestion would be to take it slow and don't expect to magically transform into a sober life immediately. I think you said you are still drinking tonight, so I'd also suggest mixing in some water and taking it easy if you can, tomorrow the work begins.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

My first day on this site I saw a mention of RR and AVRT, I googled them and went to the website took the free crash course and haven't looked back since.

Wish you well, and tomorrow can certainly be your last time
Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yep

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'm just a guy trying to stay sober like you Justin, and I was in your shoes about a year ago. You don't need my approval either like Dee mentioned. What you will find here are lots of ideas and suggestions to help you get and stay sober. What's most important is finding what works for you, and it sounds like you have a great plan to start with tomorrow. My only other suggestion would be to take it slow and don't expect to magically transform into a sober life immediately. I think you said you are still drinking tonight, so I'd also suggest mixing in some water and taking it easy if you can, tomorrow the work begins.
Yes Scott again you show your wisdom. I am safe tonight. I do not want to push newcomers into a trigger by posting my last night's drinking habits, but just know I am safe and not going "last hurrah" mode on myself. Yes plenty of water, plenty of thiamine supplementation, plenty of pity on myself for the situation I am in. I'm drinking JUST enough to not feel withdrawal symptoms. Moderators on the forum have suggested I don't detail my drinking, and I think that's a great decision. But I'm safe. I appreciate your wisdom about not thinking it's an overnight process where you become healthy after detox. I will obviously detail my detox tomorrow (as I have so many times before) in case someone has something similar. Just for experience. Not advice.

I have my positive addiction: working out. It's a fantastic stress reliever. It's a long road, and I want you to know that you personally have helped me a lot in my quest for sobriety. You should take a pat on the back for that man. All kidding aside. And if you were in St. Louis, I'd buy you a steak dinner for your tough love and dare I say "sobering" comments. I appreciate you greatly. Please just know that.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

dwtbd, it will be my last. Plans are in place, people are where they need to be, and I'm where I need to be. (in AA, therapy, and away from bars)

I'll have extensive postings tomorrow as I have significant alcoholic insomnia for four days after quitting. Please read them. They are very detailed but should be a deterrent for anyone who thinks they can have just one drink.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LDT

I detoxed with Lorazepam. I used it as sparingly as possible, strictly following the doctor's prescription and orders. it worked... it got me over the hump and prevented some painful withdrawal symptoms, allowing me to get on with the real work of recovery.

I wish you well, Justin .
Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I took Lorazepam for a number of years. For me, it was a wonder drug when it came to anxiety. It made a big difference when it came to detoxing. For better or worse, my new psychiatrist decided to not refill my prescription for it. I was pretty ticked off for a while, but it is a narcotic, so I understood his decision.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you LDT. I plan on using it exactly as doctor ordered. He said I could go up to 4mg a day if I had to. Normal dosage is 2 1mg pills spread out over 12 hours.

The mental aspects of recovery are frankly terrifying to me. I have all the plans in place, and have thrown money at sobriety and all that. But my record is 13 days. I felt the best I've ever felt on day 13. But I need guidance and recommendations for durations longer than that.

I'm glad to hear it worked. How long have you been sober?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

2muchPain, my doctor gave me 10 pills to detox. That's all I get. I DO believe I have general anxiety, but I have to be sober for that to be diagnosed.

I hope I can get on something that will help me out. Thank you for the post.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Lorazepam has become increasingly popular in treating alcohol withdrawals during the past decade. It has a short half-life, is safe for people who have liver damage, and is effective at doses that are higher than those prescribed for anxiety.

Lorazepam is not a narcotic. It's a benzodiazepine that works as a tranquilizer and therefore has sedating effects.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

we will be here if ya need us.