Notices

Feeling Sick from not drinking

Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Sick from not drinking

Hey all,

Been reading on here but not posting much of recent times since I joined last month. I have been going through like 2-3 days of sobriety off and on since joining last month and it never seems like I can get past that 3 day hump without feeling so sick that I just want to die. It is like literally puking as if I had been drinking for like 5 days straight and all I have wanted to do was sleep like (12 plus hours per day) during those sober periods.

It's not even that I am have the urge to drink, it's like I HAVE too to keep myself from feeling so lousy. I was just going through my sick days at work the past month, and the 3 days I called in sick were days after NOT drinking....it seems harder to function today without alcohol than with it.

If I went to detox and got all these toxins out of me with the help of a medical professional would that possibly help to get me through this first step?? Any help would be much appreciated
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have to be sober long enough to get the toxins out. Detox would help huge and you would have the medical help to balance the withdrawal symptoms. I don't suggest you do it on your own.

Our bodies are amazing machines. They can adapt. That's what happens with the intake of alcohol. They adapt to it. After a while they require it to go on working on a 'normal' level. I know of someone that was arrested and given a breathalyzer. Tested at .49. Supposedly your dead at .5. After 2 days in the tank, they tested him again and he was at .27. When I was arrested for DUI, I tested at .29. Couldn't walk, talk or breath normal, but this guy was acting completely normal at .27. His body had adjusted.

Takes medical assistance, and time to get our bodies away from this. But it is most definitly worth it.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If I went to detox and got all these toxins out of me with the help of a medical professional would that possibly help to get me through this first step??
Sounds like a good idea CvRaider x
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It will be okay

I am only 10 days sober, but did call and check myself in to a hospital for the initial withdrawal. It's not fun, but the meds (mine were Ativan, Librium and Clonopine) really help soften the initial symptoms. Since out of hospital, I've been struggling with panic attacks and insomnia. I've found some respite with Melatonin (10 mg) at night for sleep and a very small dose (.5) of Ativan when I'm having a panic attack.

I went through the same thing: A few days of sobriety and then back I fell. It's okay as long as you're getting back up. You sound as though you do need medical intervention, however.

Keep us informed and great luck to you!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Absolutly see a doc so you can detox safely and its much more pleasurable with the benzo's listed above. I have detoxed at home with out and not only is it deadly its just pure torture.

The insomnia and all that other stuff fades with some time. As far as your toxins yea the long term takes awhile. But the immediate withdrawl is 3-5 days for all alcohol to get out of your body.

I lived like that to long, vomitting in the mornings , and drinking till it would stay down just so I wouldnt shake enough to write.

You can do it. See a doc, or just go to the er get started to living free.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good that you're trying to quit, but it sounds like you need more than just willpower to get over the initial phase of detoxifying your body. Please seek some medical advice and stick with us here. You'll find a lot of great people who will reach out to you as you share more of your story.

Don't give up! You are worth the effort to enjoy a better, sober life.

Please do keep in touch.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

A lot of people 'round here say that the third day is the absolute worst. My head was still so foggy I can't remember much of my first few weeks anyways. Detox sure wouldn't be a bad idea, but you'll want a plan for living sober for good.. that's where the real hard stuff comes in (but so incredibly worth it!).
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I couldn't have sobered up without detox. Trying to quit myself was a nightmare. In bed for days, barely able to even move, not eating, feeling like I was going to die. I would always take a drink again just to relieve the misery. I decided to go to detox and it was the best decision I've ever made, honestly. Almost 90 days later I haven't had a drink and this would never have happened if I'd tried to detox on my own.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I have found a detox location treatment center not too far from my home. I will admit myself, as I have been unable to get through the terrible withdrawl on my own
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you! We all wish you the best with detox. I got through the first days, but it was really hard and I think extreme self care is in order.