Notices

One hour a day...

Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One hour a day...

I have been drinking a bottle of whine (Chardonnay) every day: not more, not less... and I do not know why. I run 5 times a week and participate in two marathons every year. I am in an apparent great shape. Yet, my doctor do not understand why my blood pressure is always borderline... I think I know why! Also, I have the feeling to be always sick (cold, sinus pressure...) and I am aware that must be related to my daily drinking
I would like to stop and become free in regards to this more than 20 years daily drinking. I do not know where to start. It seems to me that my life will become boring and that I won't be able to sleep if I quit. I drink for one hour every day and I enjoy it. But this- one hour- seems to waste my mornings and my life in general. I am also worry about why I must go through this -one hour! Even one day without drinking is a impassable mountain. I know that reading, watching TV, walks, exercising, meetings... can help. But, it does not seem to be enough help for me... I am very impressed with the courage of the persons who have been able to overcome their addiction!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liberty55000 View Post
I am very impressed with the courage of the persons who have been able to overcome their addiction!
Ask them how they did it...And then let them show you how.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Liberty - you and I are mirror copies. I run at least 5 times a week, do the NYC Marathon every year, and at least 2 - 3 other halfs. My blood pressure was ok, but my bad cholesterol was very slightly elevated - and oddly although actually expectedly my good cholesterol was exceptionally good (good chol. is positively affected by running and....WINE). My blood creatine was very normal, my urine based was highly elevated...i.e. my body was successfully expelling the alcohol, but it was certainly working my system. Thank god i stopped now!

My cheat as it were to starting my day was going running. I would sleep every night after my 3 - 4 glasses of wine and wake up groggy and lethargic. Going for the run would restart my body. I too was afraid that if i quit the wine, i wouldn't be able to sleep, but at the same time, everything was staring to get out of balance. My distance perception started to get screwy, as did my balance. I started getting afraid of things i could do with my eyes closed - Avid road cyclist, got really ansi on downhills. My last night drinking, over a 4 hour or 5 hour period Saturday night, i split 1.75 bottles of scotch (80 some odd days ago).

I stopped! It couldn't continue! And you and I - we are very lucky....our lifestyle tells us when we are out of balance - in my case, my body was screaming at me. Since quitting, I have stayed awake a bit longer, but guess what - THAT'S OK, BECAUSE I WAKE UP CLEAR MINDED TOO. My weight has actually started declining because i was reserving 500 - 750 calories daily on wine, which eliminated overnight. I am offsetting the weight loss with protein and fat to support me through my runs. My anxiety has been the most challenging to manage, but this is where my fitness has really saved the day. I have escalated to 7 days of working out - alternating between biking, running and swimming. I crave and need the endorphin release to keep me sane, and not defaulting to the bottle. I guess I am now addicted entirely to elevating my heart rate for a sustained period to get the release, but hell, if this is my addiction, I'll take it. The round-robin on workout type is for safety reasons - don't want to blow out my knees.

The sober walk is worth it - everything is clearer, my ability to actually deal with my anxiety is now there, and overall I feel so much better. I assure you of this - the first few days will be tough, but if you keep your fitness going, it won't take long before you expel all remnants from your body. I drank 3-5 glasses daily for 5 years with a hell of a lot more on the weekends. I actually feel saved now.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks for your testimony and answer! It is very interesting to read that I am not the only one in this situation? May I ask you when you quitted? I have to decide my date to start... When I think one day after another one, it seems to be feasible, but when I think about all the occasions that I would miss ( restaurant, vacations...) it seems to be almost impossible... Congratulations on your achievement!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I quit the tail end of thanksgiving weekend. It was tough, but I had draw a line in the sand. I thought of it as the wall. You cross mile 18 or 21, and you are ready to fall, but you know your finishing is inevitable. I hit a wall with liquor - I thought I couldn't go a day without it, but for my mental sanity, it was inevitable. What daunting events did I give up? My birthday in December, both of my kids birthdays in December, Christmas, New Year's...to name a few.

Running has been a gift as an offset.