Notices

Day 9

Old 11-22-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 9

Last night I came close to drinking, but I didn't. I realize for me the difficult time is when my family gets together and each is enjoying a gl of good wine. I left last night so pissed off that I couldn't enjoy that one glass. My mind started going to thoughts that maybe one day I can. Dangerous stuff. Argh! With thanksgiving this week I just want to crawl into bed and stay there, but I won't. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and big on staying sober. It will get easier as your sober time grows. Just take it a day at a time and don't drink no matter what.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats! It looks like we quit on the same day. With your forum name, I assume that you have daughters. One thing that helps me is to think back to my day 4 when I asked my daughter to pour out the remaining gin and whiskey that we had in the house. She was thrilled to do it, and mentioned that she had been wanting to do it for a long time. I'm ashamed of how my drinking affected my parenting, and I'm hopeful that I can repair some of the damage / neglect to my family and in particular, my daughter, over time being sober.

Going back now would send a message to my daughter that I don't want to send. That helps me keep on the straight and narrow....
Old 11-22-2010, 04:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah for you!

Day 17 here. Don't you love the fact that you didn't wake up this morning with a headache? - that you showed yourself and others (including your girls) that you don't need mood altering substances to live? Keep it going!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you phytoman. I do have 2 daughters and yes I have shame for my parenting at times. I feel lucky because they r young, but I am sure they are much more aware of my drinking than I think. Regardless it is important for all of us that I never drink again. Congrats on day 9 to you. We can do this!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

inluvwmygirls,

I'm also Day 9 and can relate. I have a beautiful 6 year old boy.

I am ashamed to admit there have been plenty of Saturdays or Sundays where I drank all day rather than seeing him. Or I've been way too hungover to be a good dad.

I'm filled with shame and self-loathing whenever I think about it. He justs wants to know where his dad is, and I'm off on an all day drinking binge.

But no more. I'm not going back. I had a fantastic weekend with my son and I feel great this Monday morning.

Remember, play the tape all the way through. I know I can't be a good dad if I have even one drink, because I know how the story ends.

For now, I am using the love for my son and the support I've found here to get me through the early days. Although I know eventually I will have to dig deeper to achieve a serene, profound sobriety.

Congratulations on Day 9. Stick around, we can do this together.

-SD
Old 11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find it is always around "family get-togethers" that make it tough. The problem is that most of our society is revolved around "drinking" in a social setting.

Much like 20 years ago smoking was perfectly acceptable at a family restaurant. Hell, 15 years ago I was smoking on a plane lol. Think about what society has been able to accomplish since then. Smoking is now unacceptable in practically every public place - this made my quitting much easier.

It's an out of sight out of mind process. I can see it going in that direction, but probably not in our lifetime - so the only way to combat is to stay away from the temptation. If your family enjoys the vino for a get together, then just don't go for the next little while. Personally I would rather miss one Thanksgiving or a Christmas to kick this miserable habit.

I'm on day 11 myself, We've already had Thanksgiving (Canada) so Christmas is the biggy coming up (and New Year's to a lesser extent). The whole family is coming to my house for Christmas, and I have already told them it will be dry. Guess what, not one member has decided not to come. It sounds odd, but imagine saying that 30 years ago to a smoking family - "There will be no smoking in the house" You would have been laughed at - Social norms, that's all it is.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Sdsrfn inluv - play that tape through right through to the end - it's not just one glass of wine for us and we don't end up in a very different place than that rosy warm glow we romanticize it as.

D