Notices

How to Make Life Easier...

Old 09-05-2004, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

How to Make Life Easier...

Recognize that there may be certain times of the day when you feel better and use that to your advantage.

Break large tasks into smaller ones; set priorities and take things one at a time; avoid taking on too much responsibility and setting overly difficult goals.

Try not to expect too much from yourself so as to lessen any feeling of failure you may have.

Activities such as exercise, attending sports or cultural events or participating in a religious or social event can help you feel better. It is important not to overdo it; feeling better takes time.

Avoid alcohol and non-prescribed drugs. This kind of self-medication may provide a temporary "high", but in the end will intensify depression.

If affected with Depressive disorders, you may feel exhausted, worthless, helpless and hopeless. You may feel like giving up. It is important to realize that these symptoms and negative thinking are part of depression. When treatment begins to take effect, the negative thinking fades.

Last edited by MootPoint; 09-06-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: can't have links asking for donations
Old 09-06-2004, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shudderbug thanks for the great information.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Another great post, Shutterbug!

If affected with Depressive disorders, you may feel exhausted, worthless, helpless and hopeless. You may feel like giving up. It is important to realize that these symptoms and negative thinking are part of depression. When treatment begins to take effect, the negative thinking fades.
A problem then is that some clinically Depressed ppl is that they might go off their meds because they are "well". I was cautioned by my psychiatrist to NOT do this. Of course, the med I'm on only takes the edge off
Old 09-06-2004, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That was a useful post. The problem I have is exactly what you said Moot - I have days or weeks when I'm really well and go and do all the things (except drink I may add) that start screwing me up again. Before long I'm back to jibbering wreck!

I think I'll doctor shutterbug's post for my personal use and keep a copy in my pocket as a reminder. Not sure about the participating in a religious or social event bit though...

Deg rocks backwards and forwards to comfort himself a little.

:-)
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the post, it's great! How do you work on the negative thoughts though? I'm having a bad day and the negative thoughts are creeping back in and I don't know how to stop it. All I want to do is cry. How long should someone be on a med before they should look at changing it? I'm wondering if the prozac dosage I'm on isn't enough or if another approach needs to be tried, or if I'm just plain having a bad day.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Negative thoughts are tough...one of my main problems right now. So I can't give any advice on the subject. I found the list posted above while in a brief manic state last night as I was searching the internet. Just thought it might help some who are not as helpless as I am right now.

Believe me princess when I say that I know what you mean. I just started on meds for bipolar two weeks ago and my docs are telling me it could be 2-4 more weeks before the meds kick in. Before my bipolar diagnosis, I struggled with staying on anti-depressants because they never seemed to work fast enough.4-6 weeks is just too long to suffer before feeling relief. And Prosac can be habit forming if I remember correctly. So you might want to talk to your doc. For the first time ever, I was able to stay on anti-depressants when my doc put me on Effexor. I was on it for a year before going into the hospital recently for bipolar ( I was misdiagnosed as only having depression for nearly 6 years). The change I felt when the Effexor started working was great and I was able to stay on them because they had a side-effect of making me feel strange if I forgot to take one...so it was my little built in reminder. Hey, it worked for me - until recently anyway.

The best advice I can give is to talk to your doctor.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The negative thoughts were at an all time high last night. I wound up in the doctor's office this morning with extremely high blood pressure, I was pale and in tears. I had been up most of the night and was a wreck. My heart was pounding and I thought I was losing my mind. I had forgotten what an anxiety attack felt like since I hadn't had one in several years. No wonder I'd forgotten -- they're not fun.

My doc didn't recommend Effexor because I would need to taper off the prozac and gradually add the effexor, she didn't want me to wait that long. We decided to add more dosage to the prozac and the med buspar. We talked about xanax, but it won't work for my wake-up time during the night and when I need to go to work in the morning. I'm shooting for short-term in this, so I'm going to try hard to exercise everyday (my dog will be SO happy that mom is finally taking her for walks again!) and I've decided to stay away from things that trigger the bad thoughts -- sappy music and movies are the biggies. My doc is confident this isn't a bi-polar issue, but depression with anxiety. I'm going to give it some time and see what happens. I'm hoping I don't have another night like last night. It's very embarrassing to have to call absent into work because you're falling apart emotionally.

I've also decided to stop fighting the insomnia and negative thoughts. When they start happening, if I can't stop it right away, I will get up and start my day. I never go back to sleep anyway, so I may as well quit having pity parties until it's time to get up for work.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Princess I haven't been near a computer lately, but I am so glad to hear that you went to the doctor and I hope the meds start working soon. Stay strong...this too shall pass.

And I'm super super happy to hear that your doctor didn't put you on xanax!!! That was one of my aunt's biggest problem drugs and I have read quite a lot about the addictive qualities in that one.

(as you may be able to tell I am VERY anti-addictive prescriptions. My aunt also suffered from severe depression as many in my family do, but I believe she was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia (sp????) and should have been diagnosed with bipolar because she also had manic episodes. I wish I could have learned all this in time to try and save her. She got addicted to prescriptions during a hospital stay and just got worse from there trying to fix what the doctors didn't diagnose right. She overdosed 3 years ago leaving two beautiful girls behind. So if it were up to me, there would be much higher standards for the dispensing of addictive prescriptions.) Sorry for that soap box.

As for the negative thinking...Girl get yourself an Alanon book!!! I don't know why I didn't mention it before, but it has helped me a lot. I don't know if you have any friends or family that are alcoholics, but if so then all the more reason to get one or two or three of these little jewels!

"Hope for Today" is a good one, as is "One Day at a Time" and "Courage to Change." All three of these are like daily devotionals that are uplifting to women (and men) in alcoholic situations, and since Al-anons usually have low-self esteem and low-egos and negative thinking, there are many, many pages devoted to these topics. The index in the back of the book is what I use the most. No matter how I am feeling, whether angry, sad, worried, anxious, or any other emotion I always find comfort in these pages. The program is an excellent tool that can teach you how to love yourself (one of my absolute biggest problems). I always read exactly what I need to hear when I am having problems and I read through the pages in these books. You may check out a used book store to see if you can find them cheaper or if you go to any Al-anon meeting you should be able to purchase them there. (They come in two sizes, regular and pocket-sized and cost around $8-$12 each which is well worth it!)

Good luck and I too must start walking if I am ever going to get past this exhausting depression.

Sending hugs your way,
Love,
Jenna