Notices

For those suffering from depression

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

For those suffering from depression

Hello, folks.

This has been my experience:

Back in March I was nearing 80 days sober and I was going out of my skull. Merely being sober wasn't enough--the suicidal thoughts were relentless and hope didn't apply to me. I finally gave in and called my doctor. By the time he got back to me several days later I had relapsed. I don't blame him for the relapse. I was doing so poorly my choices at the time were suicide or drink. I drank.

I started going to therapy and within 2.5 weeks I quit. It was the hardest relapse to overcome by far. I had to stop so I could be placed on much needed meds for depression...because as many of you know antidepressant meds will not work when someone is abusing/using substances.

I came to SR many times to vent my frustrations about how nothing was working. I was told to stick with it time and again. I didn’t want to do it at all. I wanted to give up because I was tired of fighting, but something inside me made me follow through. I had no other choice than to get better.

Sticking with it has been the best decision I’ve made. I’ve gone through trial and error with my meds. The combo/dosage I’m on right now has been holding up pretty well for nearly a month.

I now know what it feels like to be mentally normal. Finally. This is what I’ve been wanting and needing all along. I never thought this could be possible, but I’m living it right now.

I have my not-so-pleasant moments from time to time, but those feelings are nothing like I had to go through before I got help.

People who don’t have a chemical imbalance still feel pain, but they are able to manage much better than someone who has depression.

If for some reason the meds I’m on cease to work I will find something that does. Being mentally stable is possible and now that I’ve had a healthy taste of it I don’t ever want to go back to that hole.

My meds don’t make me feel high or lethargic.

My meds make it possible for me to:

Stop hating myself.

Experience true happiness.

Feel good.

Smile and mean it.

Laugh and love it.

Have no more suicidal thoughts.

Function well.

Have hope.

The meds would be useless for me without therapy. I go to therapy as much as I can and I make the most of it by being 100% honest. Outside of therapy I work on making myself well. SR is one of the tools I use to do so.

All of the irrational thoughts...all of the self-loathing...all of the horrible feelings was the depression in control.

Depression doesn't have to win.

You can find a way out of it, but you have to seek out help and you have to do the work. It is hard, but it is worth it...and I'm looking forward to living life.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, Bam! Very happy for you! :ghug3

OB
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i am happy for you bam.. keep on keepin on!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am happy to read this Bam.

I think some people who haven't had real, chemical imbalance depression have no idea how bad it is.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is great when you find the right tools to be healthy and you feel healthy/normal mentally.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your post gives me hope, Bam. I can identify with being suicidal but sober - and what a terrible place it can be. I have experienced the right med combo in the past, but not for quite some time. I am just starting a new combo now, and hope that this one brings me the relief that I seek.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

What a wonderful testament to being persistent in seeking a workable treatment wile wondering if there was any hope in doing so.