Notices

question about meetings

Old 08-03-2006, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about meetings

Yesterday I went to my first meeting in this area. It was listed on a city AA website list, but turned out to be an NA meeting. Having never abused narcotics, I felt abit out of place, but decided to stay, it was good. I could relate to a little bit of what was said, but nothing was along the acoa lines. None of the brochures seemed to apply to me either. I will find a group that does.

But:
There was over 30 people in it, only about 8 people spoke. Is that a "large" group?

I was impressed by the vibe of it...everyone was quiet and respectful. I felt that everyone there was very commited to their recovery. The supportive feeling of the meeting was strong.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Good for You !!

Most 12 Step meetings are Based on the AA Program..Groups vary in size..sometimes less than 30 - we have one AA meeting here with over 300 ppl. A Sat night meeting where ppl come fm all over the city and go party after......(I'm in a suburb of a big city..It depends where you are.)

Meetings usually run with that kind of respect..Only one person talks at a time and we don't comment on another person's sharing.If we want to talk to them about it - we do so after the meeting..Meetings run with a format..If you are new, they usually at some point in the meeting ask if there are any Newcomers..That is the time you can stand up and introduce yourself..Then people will come to meet you after the meeting..makes it easier for you if you don't know anyone..

Any more questions ??

Janni (Istarted at ACOA too - really helped me until I realized I'm an alcoholic too)

Welcome ! Janni
Old 08-03-2006, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The name NA is somewhat misleading. It's support for addiction, drug of choice being irrelevant.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic. By the Grace of my HP and you in these forums I havent had a drink of alcohol since 8-11-90. For that and you I am truely grateful.

A.A./N.A. meetings helps us hang onto sobriety. By having regular meetings so that we can associate with other addicts/alcoholics who have come through that same door in the wall, by encouraging us to tell the story of our own sad experiences with druds/alcohol, and by showing us how to help other alcoholic/addicts.

A.A/N.A. keeps us sober. Our attitude toward life changes from one of pride and selfishness to one of humility and graditude.

In early sobriety i was pretty scared about going to meetings. I kept thinking I was the youngest person at 30 in there amongst the old-timers. But I did go never-the-less because it was strongly suggested that i do, esp. if i wanted to stay sober. And yes I had the desire and willingness to continue.

I had already spent 28 days in rehab and was attending a 6 week outpatiant aftercare program. This had already set the foundation for hopefully a strong recovery program.

As of today....almost 16 yrs later, my recovery foundation is still holding up.

There have been a few quakes to loosen up a few steps, but im still paving my path with continued work and faith.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This evening I was feeling rather down, and finally had to get out of the apartment. I have been sitting tight so much lately, not spending a dime, isolated, it was time to go for a walk. Because the NA meeting last night was in a church litteraly 100 yards from where I live, I just felt guided to head in that direction. After a little quiet time in the church, I realised another NA meeting, fellowship I think, was about to begin in a side room. So I went, and found much more of it helpful than last night. But someone said in group something like If you aren't here because you did dope, you don't belong here... but I disagree.
I agree with you doorknob, I want to be in support for addiction, and until I find my niche group, I will likely go back to this one. The feelings of respect and support were so strong I was nearly in tears, as I related to what was being read and shared. But I didnt stay after to chat, my shyness got the best of me. Is this normal?
Old 08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Alcohol is a Drug !! That person must have been misinformed..
NA people want to be free of ALL mind altering substances..
Glad you aren't letting one person keep you away from your Recovery.

Good to see you at SR Online meeting !
Janni
Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In my AA group the opening format states...

"Please remember that our members share their own
veiws and are not necessarily that of AA"

Take care...keep going!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

im just 24 hrs and counting god willing everyday will count!
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

NA is the greatest show on earth (my opinion).

There is only one requirement for membership: the desire to stop using.

The use of liquid drugs qualifies.

Remember one thing - everyone there has 'problems', some people may tell you that you don't 'belong' there. That's their problem.

Keep going back.