Anyone see Intervention last night on A&E?

Old 07-31-2006, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Anyone see Intervention last night on A&E?

Last night was the first time I have watched that show, start to finish. I avoided it until now for my own personal reasons.

While watching the video of the interactions between the Mother and James, (meth) she obviously played the major enabling role. At one point during her interview the interviewer said, Tell me about enabling? The Mother admitted she knew she was enabling James and I'm sure there was a lot in the background about her education of her behavior that wasn't mentioned in the show.

Albeit a noble cause to educate folks on addiction and how lives are ruined, the whole premise of A&Es Intervention seems to be focusing on the crescendo group hug moment at the end. So I'm watching this and thinking, wouldn't it be cool if there was more on educating the public about how loved ones enable addiction?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree. That show always leaves me feeling a little... empty by the end.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

I saw it.
I think the reason they dont focus on the enabling may be to not seem like they are blaming anyone but the addict. JMO.. lots of folks watch that show and know little about recovery and addiction and could take that as blaming the family.
Its still hard fro me to watch that show sometiemes!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After having an intervention for AH (failed to send him to treatment), I see the show very differently than if we hadn't.

To really focus on what an actual intervention is about,it would be at least twice as long because it would need a separate segment on the family members..which is where the real work of the intervention is done; IMHO. It is coming together as a group to "break the silence" and boundaries for yourself; not as much as "forcing" the addict to get treatment.

I think it is helpful for the general public to see just how unmanageable the lives of addicts and those who love them become. Before my AH, I had no idea what addiction was, or that I was surrounded by many during my college days in the early 70's (many are still "partying" today....I am 52y)

I like to watch Intervention because I can see subtle ways I enable and also now with an ear and eyes to see addictive behavior for what it really is. Helps me "see/hear it" in my own family and also help to take it a little less personally. In other words, I watch the show sometimes to "identify with"; just like listening to a speaker or a lead tape.

People who don't live with it really never will "understand it"..........really, do any of us? JMHO and even if we did would it matter? I think it is good as a public service to show the range of people and their circumstances who are addicted and that there are resources out there for people who want them and that people CAN get better if and when they decide to do the work.

I like the show.....but I always cry when I watch it.

p.s. I totally agree,elizabeth1979, about enabling.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I have watched the show quite a few times, as watching anything about alcoholism/addiction I am a little skeptical. You know after living with someone who was very active in this disease for over 10 years, you really wonder can they show the real truth of this disease on TV??

Well, some of it for me was pretty accurate, some not so much, but I think what made it so real for me, what was so true, was the last few minutes of the show, when they show in print where the addict/alcoholic or whomever with the problem is now - I think it is great that they show the truth - Not everyone makes it in recovery.
I know that is heartbreaking, sad, and cold. But that is the stone, cold, reality of this disease - I like that they don't "Happily Ever After" it.

Not everyone, as so many of us know, gets the chance to live happy, joyous and free -

Sending prayers, thoughts and wishes that you and your loved ones get that opportunity . . .

Rita
Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I watch it every weekend. I find it amazing that I can relate to almost every addict. My doc was alcohol. My mother's was too. Even when I watch someone who is addicted to meth or coke I usually find something I have in common with them. Sometimes It gives me a better understanding of how I feel about things.

I can relate to both sides having dealt with my mothers downward spiral with her alcohol addiction and my feeling like I needed to fix her.

Most of the time I find myself crying my eyes out. It sort of feels good to get stuff out of my head. Sometimes it's just plain hard to watch.

~doll