AH can't swallow food...

Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH can't swallow food...

is that a late stage symptom of alcoholism. He came over today. We were eating dinner so I offered him some. He accepted, but had problems swallowing. He claims he can't swallow food because of chest pains. He has had stomach problems for sometime, and now vomits in the morning. He tried making himself eat, but it looked like he was in pain when he swallowed. After eating a little, he had to vomit and started perspiring. AH says that usually happens when he eats. I told him to see the doctor. He isn't skinny so I don't think he is back on meth. He actually has a good size beer belly which is unusual because he has always been thin. I think he has damaged his stomach from meth, alcohol, and smoking.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

It sounds like his stomach and throat are very damaged from all of the abuse. Excessive drinking destroys the stomach lining making it very touchy. All the alcohol also produces excessive acid which may be causing his throat pain and making it hard to swallow. It is called acid reflux. During late stage alcoholism there is a condition much more serious. I can't remember the name right now, but vessels burst in the esophagus causing hemorrhaging and is life threatening. I can only make assumptions and have no medical background. Try to get your AH to see a Dr. as soon as possible.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My AH had difficulty swallowing - said it felt like there was a lump in his throat. The last year or so he found lots of reasons not to eat, usually saying he wanted to be thin. I think now it had to do with the throat thing. Hope he gets himself to a doctor.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know how large the "beer belly" is but, but my father had fluid collect on his abdomen and then it became infected. He had lost weight and wasn't eating due to nausea. (not sure about the throat thing or vomiting...he didn't share his suffering) He had to have the fluid drained and be placed on antibiotics and water pills. Does he have a rash anywhere??? I hope that you can get him to the doctor. Constant
Old 07-21-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could the "big beer belly" be due to his liver? Even if it is not, I hope he gets help for this (soon). Sounds serious to me..........not being able to eat is definately not a good thing.

I hope he will seek medical help very,very soon.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Not to create further worry, but difficulty swallowing food (and frequent hiccups) are the first symptoms of esophageal cancer, which occurs most frequently among long-term smokers, alcoholics, and folks who frequently suffer from heartburn.

Your hubby needs to see a doctor ASAP.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He called me after he left and I reminded and pleaded that he see a doctor. About a couple months ago, he was drunk and called me. At that time, he said had seen a doctor and was told he had cancer. A few days later when he was sober, I asked him about it. He said it wasn't true. I am starting to think the doctor might have said something... like you can get cancer. I hope he sees a doctor too.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

He must be very scared of what they may find. Fear makes us do strange things.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sadface,
I'm glad to see that at the end of the post you said "I hope he sees a doctor"....because he will only go if he truly wants to. Like 2dayz says, right now he is afraid of what may be found. It sounds like you're not letting it overwhelm you but I can tell you are concerned about his health.
There are several things that it may be but it's best not to jump to conclusions before he's been examined. Having difficulty swallowing, pain in the chest area when eating and nausea with eating could point to problems with his esophagus (common with chronic alcoholism), pancreatitis (irritation of the pancreas, also common with alcoholism), or a liver problem. The "big belly" could also be a symptom of liver problems (fluid in the abdomen).
This information is not meant to be a diagnosis.....like I said, he would need examination and testing. I'm just passing on some information based on experience. Does he have any other symptoms? Itchiness, yellow skin or yellowing of the whites of his eyes? I hope he chooses to see a doctor also because it sounds like he should. You can only suggest. My thoughts are with you.