Notices

Harder than I thought

Old 07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Harder than I thought

I'm finding it a lot harder to quit drinking alcohol than I thought I would. That is what has lead me here. I've always drank more than the usual person, I always knew it was excessive. But I was always able to go into work and be just fine. Just once I got off work, well, guess what I was looking forward to... A few days ago I decided to quit drinking for 30 days and see if I felt better healthwise. Well, it has only been 2 days and I feel (psychologically) like I'm dying. (Physically, I feel great). I didn't realize how much I would want a drink...it is pretty scary. I don't really want to tell anyone about this, esp. my husband, who has agreed to "cut back" his drinking somewhat (not esp. impressed with that, he's a pretty heavy drinker as well, although to his credit he hasn't had a drink in 2 days either, and seems fine). Anyway, I don't know where I am going with this post, I guess I just wanted to get it out there.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Glad that you have found us and hope that you keep coming back. Yes it is a heck of a mind, body, and spritual disease. Hope that maybe you might go to a AA/NA meeting, there you will find people just like us who will be willing to help you. Sending good thoughts your way.

Love Vic
Old 07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! I can relate to your post. Please know that there is hope and the demon alcohol can be overcome.

Hope you stick around. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Hugs,

Cheryl
Old 07-11-2006, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!
In order for me to stay sober and enjoy sobriety
I needed AA.

Keep that idea as a possibility..

Blessings to you and your husband
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!!
This place is a wonderful place to start, keep reading and posting!!!!
Liss
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad your here! Read on lots of good advice around.

Last edited by Anna; 07-12-2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's quite a shock when you realize that alcohol has control over you and you thought you were the one in control. You're not alone here, in that you're finding it hard to stop drinking. It is very hard to do, but you can do it and it's worth it!
Old 07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your messages. I've been thinking about AA. I am really shy, but I may and try to go this weekend when I know my hubby will be drinking.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a drinking husband too. He just doesn't think 6 -8 beer a day and 12 or more on weekends is a problem. After all its only beer. I drank the vodka.

Stay strong set your own goals and do it for you.
I love waking up wiht out that groggy crappy hanging feeling. It's takes a few weeks to get there but it's worth it!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let us know if you have questions..
there is a lot of info and support for you.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's long been my gauge of "ok-ness" too, that I made it to work every day and as far as everyone could tell all is well. No drug problem here! I think that's the danger of not telling anyone, especially those we're close to. That's not only avoiding and deceiving others, it also set you up to deceive yourself into believeing that you've got your use/ addiction under control. Where you're "going with this post," that you "just wanted to get it out there", suggests that you're now ready to start looking at what's going on, and are looking to make some important changes for and in yourself. It IS scary looking at addiction, especially early on when you don't know where to turn or what to do, how to proceed. Essential to open up to others, to allow others IN, so you know these changes can be made, and you're in good company here. We understand...you're not alone here...welcome.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi...
I'm on Day 7 now (tried to stop many times) and I found that the first few days were the worst both physically and mentally. It does get better but I'm not sure whether your urge/voice will ever go away. I know mine hasn't and I don't expect it too. I'm just doing stuff differently which is helping.

Good luck. I think this is the hardest thing I've ever done.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

the most important part is that you realized that your drinking and that you are trying to do something.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome to SR, Thoreau. Glad you found us. I'm also glad you're thinking about AA. Please try a few meetings. It's been my way of life for a long time. The "anonymous" means your recovery can be private. You don't have to give your last name. There's no forms to fill out. No one will require any identifying details. Tradition Three says, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking." So... You already qualify!

I'm also glad your husband doesn't have to quit drinking so that you can. Your independence in the matter is refreshing.

Keep posting. We care.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Welcome to SR!

Yes it is hard to stop drinking. Very hard. I'm only at 3 weeks myself so I feel for ya.

Keep coming back!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

By the way, I love reading Thoreau! And I love the picture of your cute black kitten! That is just darling!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..Keep coming back, it will get easier..alot of great support here..glad you are here, hope to keep hearing from you..
Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm glad that you have decided to cut down...people at SR can be incredibly supportive. Even though you feel like crap (mentally) right now, it will get better. As far as being the "functioning" person who drinks, I can relate completely. I read "Drinking A Love Story) right before I quit, and it did wonders for me. I highly suggest it. Congrats on two days. We're all here for you if you need anything.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

**** - thanks for your post. I just ordered "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp from ebay after I saw your suggestion. I think I have seen you suggest it before. I guess the title struck a chord in me because the first time I saw you suggest it I thought to myself "Hmmmm.... looks intriguing." But then in my infinite brain fog from alcohol withdrawal I forgot all about it. So thank you for mentioning it again!

I love to read. I just finished a biography about Bill Wilson (co-founder of AA). It was really good as well. The title is "My Name is Bill."

Thoreau - please keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. God bless.