Notices

New here- Just saying hello

Old 07-07-2006, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here- Just saying hello

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking here for a while now , but this is my first post.
I'm a recovering alcoholic and have been sober since July 23, 2005. I'm 33 years old and had drank everyday for almost 12 years straight. Since giving up alcohol I have started eating healthy, exercising and have lost a bunch of weight. My current goal is to quit smoking, It's my last bad habit(addiction) so I will probably be most intrested in the quitting smoking section.
Anyway, I thought I would introduce myself before jumping into the forums.
Thanks,
Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Welcome Colubrid

So glad that you are here and way to go on your sobriety! That is huge. Way to glad here to see someone seeking us and glad that you are here to share with us. Hope that we get to know each other very well.

Love Vic
Old 07-07-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!! Glad you have joined us!!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

Hey ,

Welcome to Sr and glad to have you here .Theres a lot of spportive people here and Yo will have a the help you need .

I also am interested in Quitting smoking .So please share with me what works for you and maybe i can try to impliment it into my life .
Old 07-07-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see you are a nin drinker these days!

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and good luck with quitting smoking!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dear Colubrid,

Welcome to SR and congratulations on your sobriety. I was a long-time smoker until 3 months ago. I was hospitalized and when they put a central line in, they collapsed my lung. I was in the hospital for 4 weeks and naturally couldn't smoke.

When I came home I decided not to smoke for my health, although I miss it. It's definitely worth it though.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Carol
Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Colubrid!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Colubrid....
Welcome to SR. There are a lot of wonderful people here. Keep us posted on the not smoking thing, I have that addiction to kick as well. Congrats on being almost 1 year clean. WTG!!!!!!Love reading all the posts from everyone
Old 07-07-2006, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Hi, Colubrid, and welcome. Celebrate your first birthday when it comes! Start planning now! It's a wonderful milestone, make it memorable!

Congrats on wanting to quit smoking too. Good luck. Also, you don't mention if you're in AA. I'd like to know. I'm not sure why.

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome,

Congratulations on your sober time and good luck with quiting smoking!!

Love, Rose
Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hector
Hi, Colubrid, and welcome. Celebrate your first birthday when it comes! Start planning now! It's a wonderful milestone, make it memorable!

Congrats on wanting to quit smoking too. Good luck. Also, you don't mention if you're in AA. I'd like to know. I'm not sure why.

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Thanks everyone. No, I'm not in AA. I quit in rather an unusual way. I was in the ER and asked the doctor for some ativan as I was very stressed out thinking I was having a heart attack(wasn't the case , I just thought so). I knew I couldn't drink on ativan so that was my first day without booze. She had given me a presciption for a few more ativan and I took one the next day and didn't drink. On the third day I called my family doctor and told him about the ativan. He knew I was an alcoholic and knew how big even two days was for me. I went in to see him, had my blood pressure checked and everything and he gave me a presciption for Ativan and then weened me off of it over about 3 months. After many years of wanting to quit, it was easier then I ever could have dreamed. I never had time to worry about quiting it wasn't planned for that day, it just happened. I respect AA and know it has helped many people, but would not be right for me. I always wanted to get to a point where I could go several days without the thought of alcohal even crossing my mind. I'm there now. If I had to go to meetings I would feel like alcohal was still playing to big of a role in my life. I Imagine most here are in AA. Please don't take offence. I don't have cravings for alcohal anymore. My biggest fear is how I will react if I lose a family member or if my wife left me or something serrious like that.
Thanks,
Old 07-07-2006, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR and many congrats on your sober time

Kevin