Notices

Holiday Drunk

Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Holiday Drunk

Hey everyone,

Well I'm back.......again....after relapsing...........AGAIN.
But at least this time I admitted that I can't do this on my own, so I went back to AA after not being there for over 10 years. It has been helping tremendously. I have 15 days of sobriety. Last night was very difficult however. Holidays, and family get-togethers can make one feel left out when one is "on the wagon." I left a family outing early and came home to watch tv and nurse my wounds, and I did a bit of over-eating to replace the drinking I guess. Oh well. It's a holiday right? Can't be perfect all the time now can we?

The other difficult thing is that I am an ex-smoker so I have to stay away from the AA smoking meetings. It's so tempting to start smoking again in an effort to comfort myself. (If I can't have my buddy alcohol then I could at least hang out with my good friend nicotine right?!) But I don't want to start smoking again (even though there is an addictive part of me that WOULD like to). So I am making it a point to go to non-smoking meetings. They are fewer and farther between, but it's not impossible.

Happy 4th of July everyone.

Stay sober for the holiday......... this too shall pass...

Texas Dawn
Old 07-04-2006, 05:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Glad to see you back Dawn, wow that is huge to know that we can not do it alone. Hope that you stick around, jump on our bus, There is a new bus intown and hold on for the ride.

Love Vic
Old 07-04-2006, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Thanks Vic. You are a sweetie.

Dawn
Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
X IV

Welcome Back TexasDawn!
I thought your post was intersting because I live in a large city in CA, we have about 350 meetings of AA a week in the area. Only two of them are smoking meetings. I am grateful for that. Keep searching for the non smoking meetings. Meetings work. I am grateful.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Back Dawn,
Congrats on 15 days again. One Day At A time!!!!!
Liss
Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Back!! and

Happy Independence (and sober) Day today!
Old 07-04-2006, 07:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I take hard candy to meetings...
all 19 of ours are smoking.

What peeves me the most is how my
hair and clothes stink afterwards.

Glad to see your new start...
Old 07-04-2006, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congrats on returning. Congrats on your 15 days. Keep it up, one day at a time, same as me.

When you drank, you smoked, right? I did. Most smokers did. Could be your addiction to booze is trying to get a toehold. Don't let it. Peppermints or tictacs at smoking meetings might help. Low calorie too.

I've been sober over 17 1/2 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

All Meetings in Australia are No-smoking, pop over here for a meeting all smoke free and a meeting is a meeting is a meeting.....
Old 07-05-2006, 03:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ndgrace

Welcome back! I also had some sobriety before, and got back to AA after 2 years out again. I am so greatful for the second chance! I know this is going to sound like a simple idea, but I know I did not think of it at first. Don't forget to ask your higher power for help each day with both the smoking and drinking. I had a "slip" for one day with drinking and my sponsors first question was "Did you ask God to keep you from drinking today?" , I was so surprised that had not occurred to me! I know when I quit smoking the "feeling better" so outweighed the smoking! I also was told to take up something to replace the old habits, and started jogging, I was amazed how within a couple weeks I felt like the air could go to my toes!

Karen
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm so glad that you are back. Do not give up...you can do this. Keep reaching out...the support is great!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

TexasDawn, Congrats on 15 days of sobriety!!!! That is FANTASTIC!!! I know what you mean about over eating when your not drinking. I was doing good with food all day today then had one to many cookies LOL. I felt 'uncomfortable'. You know when you eat until you are comfortable physically and then you step over that point and you literally feel 'physically uncomfortable'?? Ugh! I hate that. I'm going to try again tomorrow to 'eat like a normal person'. I didn't totally blow it today. I just wanted a few cookies, then slightly over stepped that. And I am a smoker, altho I only had 3 cigarettes today. At least if I know that I've GOT cigarettes on me I won't smoke that much. One thing at a time I guess. I've cut out the vodka and I feel GREAT not having it, now to eat normally and then the next step will be to get the Nicorette gum. When I stopped smoking for awhile I would chew regular gum or lollipops. Or even cinnamon sticks. It really helped, BUT I tended to also eat more food. Ugh! Not good! Anyway... keep up your sobriety, and remember...it is always one day at a time. That is how I look at it.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Thanks guys!
I appreciate the supportive posts!

Nogard I wish I could come to Australia - send me a plane ticket! lol

Dawn
Old 07-08-2006, 06:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dawn,

Keep on reaching out. We are here for you! We understand!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome Back!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Thanks again!
Tomorrow will be day 20!

I am glad to be back. I've had some difficult days, but thank God not every day has been a killer. Friday nites are extremely difficult for me. But today (Saturday) it was so nice to wake up and not have a hangover for a change. I think I dreamt about drinking, cuz when I first woke up I thought I was gonna have a hangover and I was surprised and happy to realize that I did not have one. I'll try and remember how good it felt this morning not to be hungover the next time I have a day where I feel tempted to drink.

It feel good to be a part of AA again too. I don't know how I quit last time without it. But then again, after a few years I still went back to drinking. I hope and pray that this time with AA again that I will be able to make it. It's been about 10 years since I was at AA. (yikes - showing my age now I guess!)

Think I'll go hop on that bus that Vic mentioned!
Dawn
Old 07-08-2006, 08:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Keep coming back Dawn!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Dawn,

I'm so glad that you're back. I remember you from last year around December, the holidays. Stay with us! SR is amazing!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Naps are good.

Thanks 2dayzmuse!

And thanks Miss Communicat! So thoughtful of you to remember me and to say so! Yeh I quit for about two months - all of December and January - I think about Valentine's Day I fell of the wagon. I think I jumped off actually. I just gave in - it was just too hard to quit. (And I got REALLY mad at my husband around Valentine's Day - I guess that was my lame excuse for drinking. I can't even recall the details now, but I'm sure I has some sort of excuse).Then after drinking for another 3 to 4 months and really wishing that I could quit, I think it scared the hell out of me to know that this time I couldn't do it by myself. I went back to AA out of desperation! But that's okay. Whatever works! I'm just thankful to have another chance and thankful that AA and places like SR are there for me. I want to stick around this time and be there for other people ya know? I feel like God has brought me to a whole new level of humility if you know what I mean.

My biggest fear now is going on a big group family vacation at the end of July where there will be a lot of other people drinking around me and I will be really tempted to drink. I don't know how I am going to get through that week sober. I guess I shouldn't worry about that now. One day at a time right? :

(I need to find some good non-alcoholic drinks to make at the beach!)
Dawn
Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

When ever I'm at a event where drinking is involved, I think back to my drinking days and remember my misery. That knocks the desire right out from me. I think about how drunk I would be and how embarrassing I must have been. It isn't worth it to me. I like waking up knowing what I did and not feeling sick. Good luck and you can get through this. One day at a time...