Notices

Hitting the brick wall

Old 07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Relax = Relapse

Hitting the brick wall

comming up on my 60 days this week, and its like hitting a brick wall, seems like i aint having any fun no more, slipping into depression, tired all the time.
I know i cant drink again but I just cant seem to find anything to do that doesnt involve drinkin. Turning into a dry drunk. even resentfull.....what am i supposed to do now???
Old 07-03-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's all about change Guzler.

Truth is the stopping drinking is only the beginning of this journey. You need to find things to do that don't involve alcohol, things to do that you have fun and enjoy. You might even need to make new friends. When I stopped drinking, I had no clue what to do either, I felt lost. But, just do something - start playing sports, walking, hiking, biking, play an instrument, read a book, anything that you enjoy. It will get better. Volunteering your time in your community is a great way to help others and help yourself.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning Guz...
Like anna said you gotta do different things....I always loved to bake, so I started baking all kinds of new stuff and I know you are like oh yah I will start baking....but it does not have to be baking ...find something your are intrested in .....pursue it.
hang in there and congrats on 60 days .......
Old 07-03-2006, 06:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know if you are in AA or not but that might be a good start to be around sober people and make new friends and it will also give you something to do. What sort of things do you enjoy doing? Do you have any family or friends that you could do things with?

GP
Old 07-03-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by The Guzler
Turning into a dry drunk. even resentfull.....what am i supposed to do now???
Well, what I have found works for me is to get active and find things to do. The more you sit around doing the same old, the more likely you are to relapse. I have taken up new hobbies/sports, and I am more social than I have ever been... in short, get out of yourself... see your doc about some anti-depressants possibly, get exercising, etc.

Peace, Levi
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont want to reiterate whats already been told you, but I did want to say, "chin up!" Did you every think about volunteering somewhere? There is something truly special about helping other people that just puts you on top of the world. Makes you love yourself more and appreciate yourself more. Good Luck in finding something to fill the void. AND a big fat CONGRATS on your 60 days!
Star
Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
REZ

Have you been going to AA? It has been my experience that I need to find something to do besides drinking that makes life fun. And there I so many things I enjoy today! This did not happen to me all at once, but over time my ways of thinking and acting changed. But I was not able to change myself: I needed the help of AA, the 12 steps, a sponsor, and sober friends.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello, Guz! We share the same sobriety date! I can definitely relate - 50 days was such a big milestone that now it feels anticlimactic (one hazard of looking too far ahead, I guess). Looks like there's been some great advice posted here already, so I won't add anything to all that except my best wishes - let's make 6 weeks clean together!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Duh, make that "60 days!" - you can tell 6 weeks was a big milestone for me - here I am 8 weeks sober and still mentally stuck on 6! me