Notices

Need Advice - Meetings

Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Advice - Meetings

I initially posted my intro a few months ago. Heres the summary.
The addict in my life is my bf. He's addicted to heroin and when its really a bad weekend he chooses to shoot heroin and smoke crack. His dad and him own a trucking company and he decided that he was going to drive during the week to help him and when hes on the road he doesnt touch a athing but the moment he gets home he almost becomes a lost cause.
He's been on methadone for i think a year or two, not really sure. We've been together for almost 11 months. His previous relationship was where he and she were full blown addicts.

I didnt know a 1/4 of what I know now from when we first started dating. Last nite he didnt come home from partying with himself til about 6am. He started at like 2pm.

I want to help him and he said he'd try meetings. What I want to know is would it be okay for me to go with him? Or is this something he needs to do by himself?

Would a NA meeting be better or an AA? I know ones Alcoholics and the other Narcotics but I heard that the support is different.
Also does anyone know what I should look for when searching for a meeting for him to go to because I dont think I can handle anymore of this. Im coming to an emotional wall where I think im going to fall apart if I have to go through anymore of this. But at the same time I dont want to leave his side as support or for it to be something that brings him down lower.

Please let me know what there is that I can do to help him with this and what type of meeting I should find for him?

Also if anyone knows about any in Illinois in Chicago or its suburbs it would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks for your time.
Norma
Old 07-01-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think that you should find meetings for yourself at AlAnon or NarAnon. That is a place where you can find support for yourself and information too.

There is also a NarAnon forum on this board which you might want to check out.