Notices

Why am I so different?

Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I so different?

I am really starting to get bumbed out.

I've been reading all these post, I am on day 17 with no alcohol. According to the "norm". I should be thinking clearer, getting more done, sleeping better and general happier.

Well... I can't consentrate on anything, my grad classes are going to h***, I was an "A" student. I havn't slept throught the night in 3 days, I have never in my life had a problem sleeping. My house has never been such a mess and my friends and family are wondering why I am such a b****. What is wrong wiht me
Old 06-28-2006, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know it's hard! But let me say this;you didn't become an alcoholic overnight and honestly things will probably get worse before they get better! All these things you have spoken of like being a "B",not cleaning,making straight A's etc. Are just excuses to drink.

I know you can make it and please don't let anyone tell you differently! And by all means go to a Psych they can help with the sleep issues and some of the anxeity you are suffering from!

I wish you the best and remember the"PUSH" theory
Push
Until
Something
Happens like clean living forever
Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are doing great-- keep moving forward. I think recovery has its own timetable for everyone. I can relate to how you feel. Today was 18 days for me and I am also having trouble concentrating on my school work. I read something and have to read it again and again. Then, I still have trouble remembering it.

On the sleeping part...I'm still having trouble sleeping too. And my place is also a mess.

See......you are NOT alone in going through this stuff. I am right there with ya. Let's just keep moving forward and continue believing that it will get better. As long as you're not drinking, then at least it is not getting worse. ;-)

Hugs--
Old 06-28-2006, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i really don't agree, believe me don't need an excuse to drink, this Is my decision and no one else so I If I want a drink I'll have one. I am just really upset and confused about this decision i have made to begin a sober life. Everything seems to going oppisit of not only what I have read but what I have logically expected. And I am just not getting it.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you are saying, I felt very similar when I was just starting out. Sometimes it didn't seem like it was REALLY all that worth it to stay sober. I mean you go through all sorts of different stages with withdrawing to begin with, and then you factor in all the emotions that flood out of nowhere, I agree...it sucked.

Just let me tell you that it is, even if it dosen't seem like it now, if you stick with it it becomes evident. It is soooo worth it to be sober and out from under the control of the active addiction.

Good luck to you NYC.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Hope4, the thing is I do fight off the urges sometime there are a lot of them, but I really don't want to drink, I just feel like I should atleast be able to maintain my daily life as it was before. I went from being a "functional alcoholic" if there even is such a thing to be a non functional sober one.

i didn't really have any physical withdrawal symptons early on, probably because i didn't drink every day.

I don't I hanging in there though.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi NYCGirl. Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Thanks for sharing how u r feeling tonight.

Day 17. Thats a good few days step in the right direction. Don't be too hard on urself. Remember u will have to learn to crawl before u walk. So these little baby steps each day that u stay sober will eventually become bigger steps. Do u remember how old u were when u began to drink? I was hmmmmm about 16 17. Then i got sober via family intervention when i was 30. My mentality stopped growing when i began to drink. So i was still a teenager at 30 yrs old. I was not mature yet. Still a kid. But as time has gone on and im still sober 15 yrs now, im still at the point in my life that my mentality is still young. Im trying to mature tho.

Anyway.....I remember the highs and lows of early recovery. My first 28 days sober was spent in rehab. It was in there that i recieved the tools of recovery, my Big Book, my 12 and 12 Step Book and my 24 hour a day meditation book. I held on to those books and read them and TRIED to comprehend the meaning even tho it was hard to at the time.

But....i went to meetings, big book studies and 12 and 12 step studies and opened my ears for the messages shared in those meetings.

Going to 90 meetings in 90 days would be a good start for u or anyone just getting sober. U will bound to hear something useful during that time and thus u wont be by urself.

Find u a temporary sponsor to call upon when things get kinda rough for u. My sponor helped me stay sober by sharing her experiences, strengths and hopes with me and by her shining example of her willingness and desire to stay sober as well as go to any lengths to stay sober no matter what.

Her wonderful service work was baking for others. I did the same for my meetings. This helped me get out of my head and do something nice for someone else. This also allowed me to go to meetings even when i didnt want to go. but i knew how important it was in early recovery to do what ever it took to stay sober.

As far as the house work or anything u do...if u can do at least ONE thing a day no matter what it is , then uve accomplished alot. Just take things a little bit at a time. No expections.

I hope something here i mentioned helps. Keep coming back as others with more ESH will be happy to share them with u.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, I am going to consider this a stage and wait it out till it passes.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It will get better.. trust in that.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

~hugs~ just read on another post you are on a red bull kick right now. Those have a ton of caffeine and sugar in em... maybe that is contributing to your sleeplessness?

Hang in there... it really does get better and everyone is different in how their bodies respond during recovery.

Suga
Old 06-28-2006, 08:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by NYCGirl
I am really starting to get bumbed out.

I've been reading all these post, I am on day 17 with no alcohol. According to the "norm". I should be thinking clearer, getting more done, sleeping better and general happier.

Well... I can't consentrate on anything, my grad classes are going to h***, I was an "A" student. I havn't slept throught the night in 3 days, I have never in my life had a problem sleeping. My house has never been such a mess and my friends and family are wondering why I am such a b****. What is wrong wiht me

your right it passes and look for the similiarities not the differences. as to the things you think are different well it takes a while, things are foggy for the first year so be kind to yourself and just don't pick up one day at a time. Don't worry about wether your feeling good or not or the emotion explosion its all good, just do the drill one day at a time.

Kevin
Old 06-28-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

except I been drinking them instead of my PM coffee for almost 6 months and only been sober 17 days. didn't have any Tues or wed maybe its working backward, everything else seems to be.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hello NYC,
I am an alcoholic with 44 days..i started recovery March 14, 06, but slipped because i had let myself get into a "comfort zone"..i can still remember the days though, very early, and even still now, that i felt that i "functioned" better drinking and "accomplished" more when i was drinking when in reality, i wasn't..it was my "thinking" that made me believe that until my mental status started to change, which, as some say, it takes a yr. before the fog actually lifts, but believe me when i say, one day at a time that fog begins to lift and each day gets better and better..My first 14 days of sobriety i wasn't even able to leave my home for fear that i would go to the liquor store..so i stuck it out, on the couch, feeling depressed and unproductive, but i knew where i would be if i picked up that first drink..which, i eventually did 58 days of sobriety, it just came out of nowhere, and the next thing i knew, i was at the liquor store, and i got home just staring at it, and said "what the hell.." well, that night was miserable, i had thrown away everything i had worked so hard for, or so i thought, i don't think that today, i think i learned from that slip, that it is something i dont want to do again..i look back in hindsight, see the things that happened that day, how i ended up at the liquor store, and how i got home with it and then drank it..did i feel better? NO!, did i accomplish anything more than i did in those 58 days sober? NO..all i had was more guilt, shame and remorse from my weakness..so, i picked myself up the next day, actually that night, and said that this couldn't happen again, i had to do what ever i had to do to stay sober one day at a time, sometimes a minute at a time..I was an addict for 5 years, been clean from that almost 7 yrs..but that alcohol, that is a whole other situation..the BB is not kidding when it says alcohol is baffling, cunning, and powerful..(maybe not in that order), i wasn't an everyday drinker either these last 7 yrs..once a week, almost always on Monday..my day of choice..it fit into my schedule so to speak..but it wasn't what i drank, when i drank or how much i drank, it was my "actions" when i drank, the unability to stop when enough was enough..i still have thoughts of drinking, but i have to tell you, i am much better sober than i ever was with bottle in hand..sober i know who i am, what i am going to do..drinking was playing roulette..i never knew where that alcohol was going to take me..on the highway, risking others, or who knows what else..i just know that in the begining you actually feel like a failure, but that is because we have never dealt with life on life's terms..i was scared to death that i wasn't going to like the "new me" or even like my husband, because i had never experienced either without alcohol a part of my life..my mental changes are already phenomenal..and it is exciting as H*** when you realize the change..you are going to want more and more of that mental and physical change, i promise..and one day at a time, or even one blink at a time, it does get easier..as they say in AA, Just don't drink even if your a** falls off..I think that is it, in other words, just don't take the first drink..i think you are doing awesome, 17 days..that is a battle won in itself..so congratulations to you..You hang in there, and although i am new to this forum, the support here is phenomenal, and just down right overwhelming from what i can tell..and there is no judging, and there is a freedom of speech to let all those tough feelings out..for me, sharing is the best thing for me, and that is actually why i came on tonight, but i think i have shared enough..and i feel better..just sharing with you..i can put my problems on my nightstand and they will still be there tomorrow, but helping a friend in need is so much more important..hang in there, hope to see more posts from you..take care..
Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi NYCGirl,
I decided this was as good of a place as any for my first post because I can totally relate to what you're saying right now. This is only my eighth day without a drink (I say only but I'm actually really happy to have made it that long) and I honestly don't think my house has ever been this messy. I know that I always used to drink while I was tackling tasks like housework or yardwork to make it more bearable I suppose. I am also a notorious listmaker and I don't think I've accomplished even half of what's on my list for the week. But I kind of resigned myself to the fact today that my house just may need to be dirty for awhile and even though there were things that I did NOT get done on my list, I also did NOT drink today and that feels wonderful to me right now. I've also been not sleeping so well...I think I slept in three different places in my house last night after going to bed at 2:00 AM but you know it wasn't so bad because even though I was a little tired this morning at least I didn't have a hangover. I got up and yelled at my dog for barking in the middle of the night...she looked at me so funny like "why are you yelling at me to stop". She's probably been doing it all along but I just never heard her caused I was zonked out from all the booze.
I've been reading this forum morning and night for the past 8 days. I've read so many wonderful things! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one struggling with some of these things & I'm going to trust that all these people that say "it just gets better" know what they're talking about
Old 06-29-2006, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi ladies my name is Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Sounds like you guys are putting ur program into action. JUST FOR TODAY, that's it. You know when u go to meetings u hear lots of AA SLOGANS or they maybe posted on the wall somewheres or sitting on a table in front of u....All those Slogans have meeting to them. U may get tired of hearing them, but really they r there to guide u thru ur recovery. As u see them or say them on a daily bases they become part of ur daily vocabulary.

KEEP IT SIMPLE.....ONE DAY AT A TIME......THANK THINK THINK....JUST FOR TODAY.....on the think think think....that one means ,,,DON'T THINK, DONT DRINK AND GO TO MEETINGS.

I am aslo one for make lists. and u know what, i would make them till i was blue in the face and nothing would come of them. I think i just had to go thru the process of writing things down and getting them out of my system. Id write'm then post them then tear them up. I guess over time i got tired of make them so i stopped.

If u have a list.....if u can do at least one thing on it for today then thats a BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT. Some days its just getting up and getting dressed. Then add a meeting in there. If thats all u do today...then thats PERFECT. : )

I find myself that physical work or exercise helps me sleep better at night. I like being physically tired. But.....dont exercise close to bed time. That would surely keep u up. Ive been walking at a nearby park for about 30 minutes. Not only is it good exercise for u but it also allows u to meditate if u want to, unwhine, get fresh air.....just clear ur head.

Its just a suggestion i found helpful to me.

Then no caffine drinks..like coffee or sports drinks. A warm bath to pamper urself, calming music, a good book, writing in ur journal. Prayers at night.

Just a few things to settle me down before bedtime.

Im also an early to bed early to rise make a person healthy wealthy and wise. : ) Im not to sure about all that wealthy stuff but i do feel better health wise....lol

Have a sober day ladies.

A friend in recovery.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi NYCG,
Nobody ever said it was going to be easy, huh? I still struggle and i've got almost 4 months. The first 3 months i fought with myself daily - To drink or not to drink. That's why they say "one day at a time", just don't drink today. Are you involved in AA at all? If not, would you be willing to give it a try? I'll tell you what, i'm not a people person, i always felt out of place around strangers, but there's something about the people in AA, there is always someone that can relate to what you're going through and visa versa (i don't know if that's right - who cares......u know what i mean). Anyway, i still have days when i think "screw it", but it's not every day anymore and i know i'm a better person today sober. My relationship with my husband is much better, just everything is better. Hang in there, you are doing great. Keep posting and keep sharing. Every day i come onto this site and think "i'm not posting anything today, i have nothing to offer anyone, they wouldn't notice if i stopped coming on", but then i see your post and i think, well.....maybe something i share will help NYCG to make it through another day. Get off your pity pot and think about others (that's what i say to myself). I hope i've helped you even just a little.
Thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi NYC Girl,

I'm new here, but one thing that has jumped out at me from the wonderful advice this forum is that "every day sober is a victory". Even if you didn't accomplish much else, that in and of itself is a major feat each day right now, and you should be very proud! Stay victorious!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am on day 14 and feel like crap too. I might buy myself a bottle of vodka today the cheap stuff, I don't know I want to feel normal. This forum does help in not drinking everyday but two freaking weeks have past by and they haven't been any fun. Liquor store I here I come! This is my last post good luck everyone and the best of luck.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I am certainly not taking fatclowns advice. I am going to put a time limit on feeling like cr**. When I am not happy wiht a decision I have made I give it a certain amount of time . My Job for example, i hated it the first year, I told my husband I would give it three years and if I still hated It I would decide on a career change. Six years later I have the same job.

I mean I like being sober, not having to wonder if this time I'll know when to stop, I like not having hangovers.
But I hate the tiredness, and the disorder in my life and I feel like I have developed ADD.

Any suggestions on how long I should give this new life. After all I am type "A" and this has got to get better.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

Yeah, like drinking is fun? The last time I drank, definitely not fun. My idea of fun does not include Vodka.