Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

How does a recovering addict deal with depression?

Notices

How does a recovering addict deal with depression?

Old 02-08-2002, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Post How does a recovering addict deal with depression?

This morning is my 19th day clean from pot and valium. The shakes and mood swings are about the same as the first few days out of detox, but I`m getting used to them I guess. My problem right now is severe depression. All the web sites say it`s a side effect from the valium withdrawl and can last for months. How have other addicts dealt with this and stayed clean?
Old 02-08-2002, 08:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Cassy!!!

Welcome back - you were missed... I don't have any words of wisdom about the depression - but we are glad that you are back!!!

Ogly
Old 02-08-2002, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GTW

Cassy,
Try to stay busy with projects that take your mind off your craving and depression.
Another thing that helps me is exersise. Sometimes I walk 5 miles a day just to totally wear myself out. Try to focus on the
good things that are in your life. Remember in the end it's One day at a time.

Take care --

Old 02-08-2002, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
in the dumps

Cassy

Congratulations on your continued sobriety. Things should be getting better soon. Your withdrawel symptoms are probably nearly gone. You are probably feelin more cravings than withdrawel right now (but I could be wrong). I wish you continued success in your recovery. I think you are doing great!!! Keep up the good work.

I would like to ask a favour of you. I am kind of dealing with the same problem that you had the 2 DOC are almost the same. I am having an awfully hard time trying to cut back and then totally quit. The pills script (lorazepam) I am using to treat anxiety (very similar to valium) -- only I heard the withdrawels can be worse for mine. I have been cutting back the meds slowly and still having difficulty to get off. It seems like DOC is just impossible to quit right now. (but I am working on it)

Do you have any suggestions for me. I really want to get totally clean but I just can't seem to do it. You have done it and I'm very proud of you for that!! Please help me find the way. If you can do it, I can do it. (and I want to prove to everyone that I can do it) I'm just not doing it???? (Or at least not good enough). I want this terrible thing to be over with.

I'll try to help you too. For your depression, I am not quite sure what to say. You can see your MD / GP and ask for medication (I don't think this is a very good idea for an addict) My experience with scripts for depression is I have been given about 3 different kinds and different dosages of each. 2 scripts did nothing and the last script has been making me feel very ill and there are also bad withdrawels from this med as well. (So addict to addict, depression meds don't work for me and could just cause another addiction so I do not reccomend it.

The best thing you can do for your state is to try to keep somewhat active. Go for a walk, clean the house, post on the internet whatever. Just try to keep yourself busy and hopfully keep bad / sad thoughts out of your head. (This is what I'm trying to do now with little success) It will take me longer since I haven't come clean yet.

This is the best advice I can give you.
Try to return some advice to me if you can.

Thanks and Good Luck

Talk Later.

in the dumps -- feelin a little better today

Old 02-08-2002, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Julia

Cassy and Dumps,

Twelve years ago before I became an addict by choice, I got addicted chemically to an anti-anxiety medication, Xanax.

It was right after my mother died. I was having a hard time with depression and anxiety and my Dr., prescribed it for me. I never abused, only took as reccomended.

After a few weeks I was feeling better, and one night I didn't take my medication. I woke up a few hours later, feeling like I was losing my mind. I didn't know what was happening to me. My Dr., didn't tell me that Xanax can be a highly addictive medication, and that you shouldn't just stop taking it.

To make a long story short, I found a Psychiatrist who specialized in helping people get off Xanax. She started me on a slow taper. However, I didn't sleep for six weeks. She kept talking to me about using an antidepressant, trazodone, for sleep. After my experience with Xanax however, I wanted no part of any medication. Finally, after having not slept for over a month, I consented to try it. In the beginning it was hard, my body had to adjust to the medication, but it did start to help me get some sleep.

It took three months to get me completely off the Xanax. It was a horrible experience. After I was finally off it, it still took months before I felt normal again.

I know this doesn't sound very hopeful, but the point is I did get off it, and I did get normalized again, but it did take time.

I can't give any advice as to whether or not someone should try an anti-depressant, but if I had tried it when my Dr. originally suggested it, I wouldn't have suffered so much.

Going six weeks without any sleep, I felt like I was living in the "Twilight Zone."

Juls

Old 02-08-2002, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Dumps, you have to get a doctor`s help to safely get off the lorazepan. A doctor last week tried to put me on Xanax to help the withdrawl symptoms from the Valium. Stupid doctor! No help there. The people at NA say this can go on for months before it gets better. Nothing is helping so far, but I`ll die before I use again. Just have to tough it out I guess. It must be the withdrawal reaction that`s getting me now. This really does suck!! I pulled this off a web site.
Benzodiazepines like Ativan(lorazepam), Valium, and Xanax all have the same symptoms of withdrawal, including anxiety, shakiness, head ache, dizziness, sleeplessness, loss of appetite, and in more severe cases, fever, seizures, and psychosis.
A withdrawal reaction may be mistaken for a return of the anxiety, since many of the symptoms are similar.
Long term users REQUIRE HOSPITALIZATION FOR WITHDRAWL. It is important to know that a sudden stop in taking the drug can produce a seizure.
Patients must discontinue the medicine gradually under a doctor's supervision.

Old 02-08-2002, 03:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Julia

Cassy,

I'm really glad to hear you didn't start on the Xanax. Yes, it can take months, but it will get better. There are herbal things that can be helpful. If your interested let me know and I'll give you some info.

Juls

Old 02-09-2002, 12:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Im Ok - youre OK

Cassy,

yeowch, I hated that depression i got after valium.Anti depressants didn't work for me,awful side effects.

Basically i just used to talk to myself in my head and just try to reassure myself,sounds weird but it worked.Its important to keep on loving yourself - and boy do you ever have a reason - not that you need one- but you have done so well!

Do you go to meetings Cass? How do you find it? being around other folks in the same boat,and being able to talk about it has got to help.............

Excercise really helps me too,going for a run.or a burn up on my pushbike in the cool air is good......

Anyway,it will pass!

((((((((((((cassy)))))))))))))

great to have you back.

love,clancy xxxx
Old 02-09-2002, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Morning all. Another long night finally over, lol. Just sitting here on the sofa waiting for my friend`s kids to wake up so I can move around. I have been exercising a lot, but I have to watch the running and all because I`ve lost so much weight. Doing lots of muscle building stuff instead. The meetings are ok, some are bettr than others, and it does help to be around people in the same boat. The one last night was good, no dealers hit on me. There was a guy there who have been clean for years who said he still makes 5 meetings a week because craving still isn`t gone. That`s a scary thought. Julia, what herbal remedies are you talking about? Kind of leary of most everything right now, but web surfing to reseach them would give me something to do this weekend.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Diana

Cassy,
I'm really glad to hear of you success in staying clean...As far as helping out with your depression I would like to suggest taking B-complex vitamins. They are like natures nerve pills. I try to take 2-3 a day with my meals and it really helps to keep my spirits up. Give it a try !! I started taking them quite a few years ago, and I can tell a great difference in my moods,when I take them. They are all natural and they work !! I recommend them to everyone here....

Old 02-09-2002, 05:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
in the dumps

To those concerned,

A few years ago I used to take a multi-vitamin called stress formula or something. I took it for a couple of years and found it to help. This was before na addictions. The active ingrediants for depression / stress was various vitamin B's (B1, B2, B6, B12) I think were the stress vitamins, also included calcium, iron, magnesium, folic acid, C500mg, E and others. I think it helped at the time. This was a while ago. I just started taking a new multi-vitamin (Centrum something) I'll let you know if it is helping.

Julia and others,

I'm aware that quitting lorazepam all at once can be very dangerous (can cause seizures / other.) I am tapering down (without the doctor). If I feel like I need one, I'll break a pill in 1/2 and take that, if I need it take other 1/2 later (trying not to) I will not let the withdrawels get too bad since I've been taking it for a number of years. I have reduced from average 5 to 6 mg to 3 to 4mg. Don't want to rush this quitting this script. I also took Xanax at one time (did nothing for me) also took Celexa at one time (did nothing for me).
Unfortunately DOC is staying at a flat line twice daily. Will taper after lorazepam is lower qty.

Depression pills (I took Paxil for a year) -- did nothing. Currently taking Effexor XR 225mg daily (not making me feel any better) -- side effects making me sick.

Today is a special day for the kids.
It is (Mother - Son Day) and (Father - Daughter Day) -- No it is not a calander holiday. Something we decided to do today. Next Saturday we will probably switch to (Father - Son Day) and (Mother - Daughter Day) It will be good to get some one on one time with each of them.

Myself and family not doing to bad today. Just struggling with persistent colds and all kinds of diff scripts (No NA accept for me). I don't consider penecillin or others as NA (I don't know what you think).

Sorry to keep you waiting. Still want to give info for smoking tobacco / alcohol / narcotics and how they fit together. I'll still have to get back to you (no time now)

To all concerned,

If you want any info on almost any script (side effects / withdrawel / etc) Go to this web site for info. www.rxlist.com
It also has a message board where you can post questions / comments on script meds.

Talk Later

in the dumps -- feelin not bad today (so far) -- hope to have good day with daughter.

P.S. Keep up the good work to all in recovery.

Old 02-09-2002, 06:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

I understand how all the withdrawal and cravings are knocking on everyone's door, but I have to say, after reading everyones comments here today, I am amazed at how much better you all are sounding...I pray DonW sees all this and joins this group that has formed. Try to give him some support, OK? He post in General Recovery, or Alcoholism.

Excercise, vitamins are excellent. Daily affirmations..SAngelFive post them every day..Helps set the tone for the day...

Dumps, thanks for that link...I pay $80.00 a year for my copy of the PDR and another $100.00 for a Rx Web Site memebership..the link you gave us seems to do everything I pay $180.00 a year for..go figure..I like that Son, daughter day idea..It really has long term positive effects on the kids...and you all...

Well I must be off.....

------------------
Serenity is not freedom from the storm but peace amid the storm....

RovenRev
Old 02-09-2002, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Julia

Hi everyone,

Rev, your getting ripped off. "my.webmd.com"
is also a good resource for medications, side effects, and drug interactions. I prefer it over rx list.

Cassy, the vit/mins others recommended are good. Also Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc, Vitamin C (in an esterized form - if you have a health food store you can easily find this), melatonin and benadryl at night for sleep, neither are addictive or habit forming. There are tinctures like Valerian root, Skull Cap, which are soothing, a homeopathic remedy called Calmes Forte works wonders for me when I'm feeling anxious.

The best things is if you have a health food store somewhere you can go to. They will have a book on natural healing that you can look up depression/anxiety.

It may be confusing at first, and none of these things will make you feel better overnight. What might make you feel better, (it did for me), was just doing research and learning about supplements that could help me.

LMK how things go.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cassy,
All you can do is deal with this day. Future-trippin will paralyze you as will fretting over your past. Get to a meeting, build your support group. You deserve it. You are not alone and while it is great to see this on the boards, you need to get in "in the flesh" too.
It will take time, but with help you can do this. You've got my email, use it whenever you like. I think about you often. you are in my prayers.

------------------
The lie is dead...We do recover!

Gettin' Better!