Notices

Attending NA Meetings with a partner

Old 06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heather

Attending NA Meetings with a partner

I was just wondering what the general consensus is about attending meetings with your partner. A little background...I have been with my RABF for 15 years. We both got caught up in meth about 5 years ago. After about 2 years of being a "weekend warrior" I decided to quit and ended up replacing it with alcohol. Only this became a nightly thing, not a weekend thing. After I quit meth BF got worse and worse into his addiction. At the beginning of the year he went to rehab and I decided to begin my own recovery. Well we're both clean now which is a beautiful thing. My question is this...I have explained to him that if he would like to go to a meeting alone or vise versa we need to let each other know. We end up attending them together the majority of the time. This may sound like a stupid question but is there anything wrong with this?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
At Least I Think I Do

I think it depends on the format of the meeting you are attending. If it is a meeting that breaks off into small groups and you both go to separate small group - no big deal. But if either one of you need to talk about stuff that applies to each other then it may be better to seek separate meetings. Also it may be uncomfortable for other group members when one of shares.

Just my thoughts - congrats to the both of you for getting clean!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Hi Sasha

I think it's great to go to meetings together. I know lots of couples in the program together. You can also take on an all women's meeting and maybe he'd like an all men's meeting once a week or month??? Same sex meetings provide a safe and understanding place to voice deeply personal issues.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
turning red!

Hello there

Hummm i learn some stuff today, hehe! I have no idea if it's good or bad to attend meetings together but as long as it helps both of you it's what is more important. If he is confortable & so are you then it should be fine.
I'm happy for both of you to be doing great and strong in recovery

Hugssss
Carine
Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Hey, Sasha!! My husband and I are both recovering addicts as well. For us, it seems to be better if we don't go to the same meetings too often. He has his Program and meetings and I have mine and this seems to work out well. We each try to keep the focus on ourselves individually. I also go to Al-Anon sometimes which helps with the co-dependent issues. And women's meetings are helpful, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with going to the same meetings occasionally, but it should probably be the exception rather than the rule. Just my experience. Hope this helps!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 06-16-2006, 11:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I prefer to go to my own meetings.