Notices

Another first-timer

Old 05-28-2006, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another first-timer

Hi, this is my first post here and to be honest it's the first step I've taken towards dealing with my addiction outside of conversations with friends and family.
I am a 22 year old man living in Manchester, England. I have suffered from depression since my early teens and I would say have had an alcohol problem since the age of about 15, although only became dependant at around 18.
I drink to the point of passing out almost every day, my drinking has damaged my friendships, nipped potential relationships in the bud, driven me to sell my possessions and recently, caused me to shoplift on an alarmingly regular basis.
I hold down a full time (just above uk minimum wage) job and pay my rent, but feel that I could do so much more-college, better work, successful relationships etc- without the burden of my drinking.
One of my major problems is this; given the nature and scale of my problem, I am probably one of those people who should stop drinking altogether rather than attempt to cut down to an 'acceptable' level. Unfortunately my entire social life amongst which I have many friends who I love dearly, revolves around drinking in pubs, bars, clubs etc. I have heard it said before that people in this situation should get different friends. I am unwilling and probably unable to do this.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Welcome to SR Salford Pete. I could relate to much of what you said in your post. I am an alcoholic who could never achieve the acceptable level of drink no matter how hard I tried. One thing I have learned over the years is I must have an open mind and be willing to change, if not, nothing will change. If I want my life to turn around I must take charge and make it happen. I bet you are capable to do what ever you set your mind to. Change is a difficult and scary thing. I have done it and so have many others. It is achievable. We are apprehensive of change. I believe you can make new friends in sober places if you are willing to put forth the effort. Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pete and Welcome to SR,

I suffered from depression since my teens also and had an awful time trying to get it diagnosed and treated. I wonder if you tried any meds for the depression? For me, I had to deal with the depression before I could stop drinking because when I was depressed I really didn't care what happened to me.

And, yes, you're right that stopping drinking often involves making hard choices. I know that I couldn't stop drinking and be hanging around with people who were drinking all the time. It would never have worked for me. But, my life was such a mess that I was willing to do whatever I had to do. I hope you read around the forums and get to know us.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are seeking answers to your drinking so quickly
that is awesome!!:

As you might know..alcohol is a depressant
At 2/3 months of sobriety my depression fled
has not returned and I take no meds.

This may or may not happen for you
but certainly worth trying.

Take care...
Old 05-28-2006, 07:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Welcome to the site!! Depression has been an issue for me for years, and I tried every prescription under the sun to treat it. However I continued to drink and smoke pot (my primary addiction) continously and wondered why the med's didn't work. Of course I'm sure you are aware that alcohol is actually classfied as a depressant, though many use it to "deal" with depression. Of course it doesn't really help the situation, just numbs you to the pain, while continuing to cause other problems in your life.

At some point you will reach the place where you are willing to do whatever you have to in order to beat your addiction. It sounds as if you life is in the early stages of spiraling out of control, but it can get much worse. If possible, have an honest discussion about your drinking with a doctor, as alcohol can be physically addictive and there can be severe withdrawal symptoms when you first quit. There is a good section in the Alcoholism forum "Quitting: What to expect", I'll try to find the link. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-expect.html You may want to check out some AA meetings, just to see what they are all about. Many find them helpful, but they are not for everyone. As you explore this site you will see there are as many paths to recovery as there are people. I wish you the best on your journey. Take care.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD
As you might know..alcohol is a depressant
At 2/3 months of sobriety my depression fled
has not returned and I take no meds.
This is encouraging to me. Over the last few years, I've increasingly felt that my depression has it's roots in my alcoholism rather than vice-versa.
I have been prescribed with several different anti-depressants in the past and all of them have affected me adversely, not at all, or given me unmanageable side-effects. Without wishing to be crass, I consider the ability to reach a sexual er.. conclusion to be one of my basic human rights
Old 05-28-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

CarolD, I just read the start of your 'What's the deal with th AA' thread. During my initial browsing of the board I noticed alcoholism being categorised as a 'disease' several times. I was going to challenge this in my first post but was uncomfortable about questioning what for all I know could be an accepted SR 'truth' as part of my introduction. Reading your post has gone some way towards reassuring me that this is a more open-minded/less dogma-ridden place than many similar sites. Thanks!
I will continue to browse, all be it slowly, as this board seems larger than any other I have encountered so far and I'm not sure how I feel about that!
Old 05-28-2006, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're here! Keep looking around and seeking information. Keep posting too. There is plenty of support here at SR and I am sure that you will love it here.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Some take on the view alcoholism is a disease, some a malady, some an addiction, allergy, compulsion, obsession, etc. Me, it doesn't really matter. I know I am an alcoholic and needed to change my life. It doesn't really matter how it is labeled. The good news is...there is a solution and I have found it. So can you. Peace...
Old 05-28-2006, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They say if you take the alcohol out of fruitcake, it's still fruitcake. Lots of us sober horse thieves around. I thought sobriety was about being like the people I didn't like, but....
Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I too have suffered from depression, low grade, all of my life. The only time my depression has been a problem is when I drank. Then I slipped quickly into clinical level depression. Alcohol is a depressant in any quantity. That is how it acts on the nervous system.

You have to choose what is right for you. I know of people that have moved from England that they felt it was really hard to quit there because the pubs are really a big part of their social lives. Perhaps you can attend and don't drink alcohol. I don't know, only you know what will work for you.

Welcome and good luck. Levi
Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery Pete. You have come to the right place for answers and support.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Salford Pete
CarolD, I just read the start of your 'What's the deal with th AA' thread. During my initial browsing of the board I noticed alcoholism being categorised as a 'disease' several times. I was going to challenge this in my first post but was uncomfortable about questioning what for all I know could be an accepted SR 'truth' as part of my introduction. Reading your post has gone some way towards reassuring me that this is a more open-minded/less dogma-ridden place than many similar sites. Thanks!
I will continue to browse, all be it slowly, as this board seems larger than any other I have encountered so far and I'm not sure how I feel about that!
To be honest....the reason my name is on that thread is as
Forum Leader in Alcoholism... it was my job
to split the orginal when it got too long.

It was started by Tank who has moved on.
You will find the beginning at the link in the one you saw.
And it does have my personal share.

As already shared...some of SR members think Alcoholism
is a disease and some do not.
We have rather heated discussions on this
and I don't think we ever convince each other.

The broad scope of info and personal experiences is the
most valuable asset of SR. IMO

Relax...read..ask questions we are here to help you.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I choose to live

Cool

I'm glad that you found the way to SR...You will see that you will get a lot of support here...Welcome...Love from Stefanie