Notices

Relationships within the first year of sobriety

Old 05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heather

Relationships within the first year of sobriety

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I was hoping to gain some insight about what has happened to me.
Long story short. I was with a meth addict for 15 years (the first ten of which he was sober). We shared a home together for over 10 years. Well this past Feb I drove him down to rehab. We have our first session. He says how much he loves me and how committed he is. Well then I stop hearing from him and during the second session he told me that he wanted to break up and that I deserve better than what he can give me. This was a couple months ago. We e-mail a few times and about three weeks ago he comes into town . We go out to dinner. Have a good time. Says I'll be hearing from him...He goes back to his halfway house. Haven't heard from him since and a few days ago he goes into get his old job back and runs into my best friend and tells her that he is back and that he has brought his girlfriend back from rehab and they are now living together. He couldn't even tell me. He had my friend tell me. I am just blown away. Is this common??
Thank you in advance for any advise or insight...
Old 05-27-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

been there done that, wore out way too many shirts, so now I am into Codependency mode.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I have never been to treatment but they do suggest in treatment from what I hear to wait a year before starting a new relationship. Now they also say don't change anything for a year. and then they say you have to change everything. I don't know, I go by whatever is in the book and if it isn't in the book I don't pay to much attention to it.

Vic