Doing things together.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doing things together.

Maybe it's just me but I don't think I've seen much about doing things together? We weeded our tiny front garden yesterday and today bought oodles of plants and planted them!! I keep going to have a peek!

The feeling after doing a job TOGETHER, having a product we can see, acieving something TOGETHER - I dunno, but it feels good, better than watching telly together or even going out somewhere.

I can't put my finger on why but I reckon this matters as a part of recovering from what's been. There's something about the give and take of working together ('specially when you only have one trowel!) and having something to show for it at the end.

I think it's a good thing, I think it's healthy, healing and refreshing. Either that or I'm on a high from finding a mongolian fur cushion at the car boot sale for £1!!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love it equus, love hearing about you two getting along and your happiness. Yes it is wonderful, I got the same feeling when wifey and I did things together. You guys enjoy, you deserve it.

Mike
Old 04-30-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Either that or I'm on a high from finding a mongolian fur cushion at the car boot sale for £1!!

i'm jealous eq - i wanted to work in my dirt this weekend but alas, my chiropractor says no yardwork for a while until she gets me straigtened up!

I'll have to live vicariously thru you and your post! LOL
Old 04-30-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Chiropractors are scarey - I've seen them on the telly and things go CRUNCH!! Meeeeeep! Hope they don't crunch you too hard - you don't want to garden vicariously through us!

We've decided to garden by natural selection - keep the ones still alive a year later and add to replace ones that either died or did a suicidal weed impression. Eventually we'll have a crowd of plants we can't kill.

Our acer tree has grown leaves again this year!
Old 04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

nah - they're not scary - actually i've been going to her for 10 years and it's helped me a lot. i am starting to feel better now so hopefully one more week of 3 times a week and then cut down will put me in place.

sounds like a plan!

our maple trees are dropping those little "helicopter" seeds all over now - nature is amazing!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well today D has cut back the HUGE jungle in the back garden and I've cleaned ALMOST the entire house!!

This is the way to go - productive days!!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My Ah and I love to garden. It is a great feeling, definitely a natural high.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, you guys are productive!! Some days I am like that. You get high on getting stuff done!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Reading your thread made me think about those "doing things together" days.
Not neccessarily with my recent ex but in relationships prior to this one.
I always loved Sundays...reading the newspaper, drinking coffee, listening
to classical music and staying in pj's til noon.
Then spending the rest of the day in the garden, shopping or walking
on the river front.
I still do these things that I love, but now it's alone or with my boys or
friends.....somehow it felt different before......
Old 05-01-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think life has seasons and the only thing to be sure of is that they change. I reckon that's the best reason to never put off enjoying the season that is right now.

I've lived the best of life enjoying what is but missed too much wishing for what was or would be - if that makes sense?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

I reckon that's the best reason to never put off enjoying the season that is right now.
This was a key message in the book "Simple Abundance." It also stressed the importance of keeping a daily gratitude list (I go over mine in my head while driving to work every morning).

Once I started enjoying the seasons and the simple things in life like a day spent gardening with someone I love or a spectacular sunset, I was able to stop obsessing about the things in my life that weren't going as well as I would like.

Keeping a daily gratitude list helped me to see how rich my life is now and how rich it was during the worst of Richard's alcoholism and the worst of my co-dependency. It is rich now and it was rich then. I just needed to take my blinders off.

Focusing on what was good in my life was the key to turning my life around--from a place of frustration and sadness to a place of happiness and joy.

In every post, you remind us that each day is what we choose to make it. Thank you for that, my friend.