Notices

Tired Mom

Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Medori

Unhappy Tired Mom

It has been a long difficult journey. My son is finally in a residential rehab center. I'm afread to be to hopeful. I can't help it. I'm afraid to be to optimestic
Old 04-23-2006, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Medori. Welcome to SR. I'm glad to here your son made it to rehab. You may want to check out our friends and family forum. Lots of people there will understand what you are going through.

Well wishes to you and yours,
Missy
Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Welcome to SR Medori.........I can sure understand where you would be having a tough time latching onto hope. As Little Missy said please do check out our family and friends of alcoholics and Nar-anon boards. Lots of awesome support, love and understanding, and even hope there. I am sorry you are going through such a tough time right now.I am sending out sincerest prayers for you, your son, and your entire family.

****************{Warmest Welcoming Hugs}}}}}}}}}
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome hun:

As a mother to four boys I have a very tender heart when it comes to moms with kids whom are addicts.

My boys are babies, except for my 18 yr old. He does good in schoo, graduates this year and works full-time. Good kid. However, he is a kid and has experimented. To see your kid high is very very upsetting.

Now that is feeling powerless at its best, awful.

Anyway, he and I are best friends, always been real tight. He tells me everything (alot I dont want to know lol). I know he smokes weed fairly regularly and really likes it. Somehow he does it and can do stuff, Id be out. He says he has been smoking since he was 14. He didnt tell me until he was 18 but I knew when he was 16... asked him and he didnt answer which means 'you know mama so hush so I dont have to lie to you.'

He has tried ALOT of other stuff, to hear him tell it. Thankfully he doesnt like anything that brings you up. Like his father, he is a mellow stoner by nature. He likes down highs... mellow.

I pray and rest in knowing he was stupid enough to try the things we all do and live to tell about it. I am grateful he disliked all other things and wished he didnt like weed but he does.

He sticks to that and might do a shot or two but he is far 'too cool' now to ever get to the point anyone would know he had been drinking. But when it comes to the weed... you cant hide them lyin' eyes. If there is a God, he will remain with this mindset because although I wish he didnt smoke out, he does. In fact, statistics show almost 70% of all americans do it. Thats a crazy number. Weed isnt the worse thing when it comes to ones DOC so although I dont like it, it is a far better DOC than he could have chosen.

I played him out the other day. I said 'I never take this xanax mess and you're so stressed, want half of one'? To see what he would say. He said 'No, ma Im stressed not sick... I dont need medicine'.

Good answer.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Medori
It has been a long difficult journey. My son is finally in a residential rehab center. I'm afread to be to hopeful. I can't help it. I'm afraid to be to optimestic
You probably have the right attitude, but that doesn't mean he won't make it. If he really wants to stay off the stuff after he gets out of rehab he should really consider going to meetings for whatever his addiction is, alcohol or drugs. Even if it's drugs, he can go to AA meetings as well as NA meetings.

Going to meetings is a constant reminder to be on guard, as well as a great source for information and strategies for coping with addictions. The problem with people who get some sobriety and stop attending meetings is that they begin to feel confident about their ability to handle it, and that's not really a good attitude.

I had seven months of sobriety last year and, genius that I am, began to think that now I could control my drinking so I went back out and drank again for another four months.

Your son will come out of rehab healthier, and that's good. He also will have some seeds planted in his mind. This is a positive step. Feel good about that.