Notices

prescription pill addiction

Old 04-15-2006, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

prescription pill addiction

hi does anyone know about tramadol addiction.i have been trying to quit for sometime but found it extremely difficult especially with all the cravings.today i'm 6days clean but hardly hanging in.i've been using for 1 1/2 year.i never thought i would be that difficult and I reached a point where i wont feel it anyome
Old 04-15-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jane,

I dont know about tramadol, but i know about addiction. Im a recovering addict. When I felt hopeless enuff, and scared of living with the drugs, and without them, I was ready to surrender. In NA, others taught me how to stay stopped... I found the support and understanding of people who knew what i was going through, because they had been there. You never have to use again. There is a solution, just for today.

Welcome

Here is a link, to some information about NA. This is the online 'little white book' that you can find at meetings. Check it out...

http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_en...%20Booklet.pdf

Heres another link - this is one of our IP's... Who, what how and why...

http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3101.pdf
Old 04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by jane_668
I reached a point where i wont feel it anyome
"Many of us came to Narcotics Anonymous because drugs had stopped doing what we needed them to do." —from Am I an Addict?

Hey, jane! Our NA posters in this area say, "Have drugs stopped working?" It sounds like you are already at this point. You know, it really doesn't matter if you think you are truly an "addict." What matters is that you want to stop using. And you can. Since you're not willing to go to treatment, maybe you could give meetings another try.

I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but I'm just trying to help, you know? Take care, jane!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-16-2006, 07:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ya drgs have stopped working.u know 11/2 yr ago I started taking codein pills and ended up in 4months taking 14pill aday then i said i'll try tramal just this one time so I took 5pills 50mg and ireally liked the high.then a month later 12pills and then moved to 100mg .i've been taking for the last month 9 to 10 pills 100mg which is a whole packand now feeling just sleepy and vomitting all day.frankly I really wanted to feel that high I first felt so I was thinking of increasing the dose to 12 or 1.2gram but i'm scared that my body wont handle it.and i'm scared of using something stronger because that would be morphine.that's why i wanna quit.I am scared of having an overdose at any time.it's just that whenever i quit and then take I cannot control the dose i take.i feel like idonn know if Iam gonna sleep then ever wake up again .
Old 04-16-2006, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now is the time keep going your doing well. Im a recovering heroin/opiate addict but relapsed on ultram. Its a synthetic opiate the methadone "the death pill" and gets me high just the same as everything else. Keep doing what your doing and get some support system set up. Best of luck!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

it's just that whenever i quit and then take I cannot control the dose i take.
This is what I was talking about on your other thread. It's not how often I use that's important. It's the fact that if I DO use, I'm immediately out of control. The solution is, of course, to not use. I just don't believe it's possible to "control" my using. I tried for over six years, Jane. It just didn't work for me.

I have to run now. Hope you have a great CLEAN day!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-17-2006, 06:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks eddie and tonytexas for ur support.Tonytexas I was surprised to know that trmadol is an opiate that's addictive like heroin.well today is day8 and i'm still clean but i had a rough nigh yesterday because i only slept 1hr.I also had leg aches and severe cravings but decided not to take.i'm reall exhausted of the sleepless nights and feel like I have no energy left.despite that i wanna do it this time.I want to stay clean.I'll have to belive that I CAN DO IT.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can do it Jane!

Hang in there!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks eddie and tonytexas for ur support.Tonytexas I was surprised to know that trmadol is an opiate that's addictive like heroin.well today is day8 and i'm still clean but i had a rough nigh yesterday because i only slept 1hr.I also had leg aches and severe cravings but decided not to take.i'm reall exhausted of the sleepless nights and feel like I have no energy left.despite that i wanna do it this time.I want to stay clean.I'll have to belive that I CAN DO IT.
Yeah I was surprised as well to find out it was addictive and a synthetic opiate. The dentist said its not addictive and non narcotic. Then the pharmacist said the same thing. BS they were both wrong. After I took one and felt good i threw them out. Looked online and found out that they are addictive and scary aswell. Then I ordered more and started getting high on them for a while.

Anyway keep going day eight is awesome!! Each day will get a little better. The sleeping is very annoying. melatonin or benadryl may be helpful for the next few nights. You are right you can do it and you are!!
Old 04-18-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, jane!! Things will get better if you continue to stay clean. I suggest that if you still have any pills, you get rid of them and do what you can to prevent your access to them in the future. Still praying here!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I actually used the last pills and didnot buy any new ones because Iam still CLEAN.It's a strange feeling to me.sometimes I don't know myself.I keep remebering how I was before using but cannot remember much .I'm having memory loss.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I started using and struggling with depression so young that I can barely remember before that either. I believe your memory will get better with time spent clean. And now that you're clean, you have the opportunity to get to know yourself again and to grow and change as well. I feel like a different person, too, but that's a GOOD thing, at least for me it is. I feel better now than I EVER remember feeling. And I hope that you will, too!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-21-2006, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi im new here
Old 04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi and welcome night owl!!
Old 04-21-2006, 03:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Hey, Night Owl!! WELCOME to SR!! We have some other members from Victoria. Melbourne, to be precise. How are you doing?

And how are you, jane?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-21-2006, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don't blame the docs or pharmacists. When Tramadol was first introduced to the market, it was touted by the manufacturere as a drug that had all of the positive effects of Vicodin, except that it was non-narcotic and non-addictive. They soon found out how wrong they were. How they could even get to the point of approval and selling something that was so easily determined to be addictive is one of those things that make you go hmmmmm...

Jane: 8 days- you're home free! Just remember, thanks to the greed of the pharma companies, and the US government, you were reduced to spending your days sleepy and vomiting. Now you're getting yourself back! You don't deserve a life like that-nobody does.

Purple Heart
PhD, Painkiller Addiction
School of Hard Knocks
1997-2001
Old 04-22-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Purple Heart
Don't blame the docs or pharmacists.
WELCOME to SR, Purple Heart!!! Thank you for this post, too!! As a pharmacist myself, I couldn't agree more. The company that brought out Ultram (tramadol), which shall remain anonymous although I know who it is, spends A LOT of money promoting tramadol as an alternative to opioids. They have many doctors fully convinced that it is non-addictive. What a joke! I really think there should be a class-action suit brought against them.

Jane,
How are you doing this weekend?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 04-22-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks purple heart and eddie for the information.so does that mean that tramadol is an opioid and how addictive is it.I really couldnot find any useful information on the web.all what they say is that it has a low potential of addiction.today i'm 13days clean but it was not easy at all .I've been convincing myself that I was solving my problems through the pills but infact all what I was doing was blocking my feelings.
i do believe I was chosing this life from the begining.They didnot say that it was ok to take 5 or 10 pills.we must take full responsibility of our actions .I blame no one but me
Old 04-22-2006, 01:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

u know purple heart I never thought that all what I was doing was sleeping and vomitting.my dad used to tell me that at 22 u r supposed to be full of life and not sleeping all day like an old women.I guess I really was not able to think clearly or see what everyone was pointing out.I hope that I learned my lesson.It was a very tough one
Old 04-22-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No expectations!

i do believe I was chosing this life from the begining...we must take full responsibility of our actions .I blame no one but me
I don't believe anyone chooses to be an addict. We say in NA that we are not responsible for our disease, but we are responsible for our recovery. You are not to blame for the fact that you have a disease, jane. While we may make the choice to take the first time, once the illness is active, we lose the power of choice. The drugs come to be in control. So don't beat yourself up, OK? It's not your fault.

Tramadol is a synthetic drug that is structurally different from other opioids, but its action in the body is just like an opioid, so it sort of is and sort of isn't an opioid. The point's kind of moot because it is DEFINITELY addictive, contrary to what the manufacturers would have you believe.

CONGRATULATIONS on Thirteen Days, jane!!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie