Notices

Need advicw on finding a new meeting place...

Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Need advicw on finding a new meeting place...

My home group is losing it's meeting place as of 4/22. It is a closed saturday night 5&dime meeting and I love it. My old roommate was in charge of paying rent to the lady that we were renting from and after he relapsed, I found out that rent hadn't been paid in like 4 months, and he took all the group money when he left. I'm not sure if that is the reason we are losing the meeting place or not, the note had no reason, just that we needed to turn in the key by the 22nd. THe lady that originally acquired the meeting place is trying to get in touch with the lady that runs the facillity to see if we can work it out...if it's a rent issue, it will be settled.

Anyway, I have been looking around for a new place to have the meeting if it falls through. I have never had to find a meeting place before and I could use some pointers on how to approch it. The other places that hold NA meetings can not be used for various reasons and I keep running into a problem with finding a place on a saturday night that is available. Some churches have services, halls have weddings and stuff on the weekends. How do I go about asking someone if we can hold a meeting at their facility?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Look at venues around the area that you and other members think might be a good place to have a meeting, and call them go talk to them with another member, Take What Is NA? IP with you. My Home Group is leaving the Church we meet at for 6 weeks, due to them hosting a camp this year, we've been there for 18 years, We are going to meet at the Salvation Army for that time, we ended up starting another meeting in the process on another night.

There will be a place that will come along. It will happen.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Well the place deffinately has to be vacated, she was angry about the rent thing and she said she is using the place for something else, so...

I have emailed a church in this area that has a nice large group of buildings and asked if I could set up a meeting with them to discuss it, she emailed me back and was very receptive to the idea, but has to run it by their board of trustees first, so fingers crossed, we may have a place already good to go.....and as luck has it, another addict came in to pay her insurance today and I talked to her a bit about it, her homegroup lost their meeting place after the hurricane and she gave me a list of places they considered and even proposed rent prices for them...I have faith it'll work out. It's just gonna take some foot work on my part and the few other homegroup members. (it is a relatively new meeting with a small homegroup, we only have 4 homegroup members)
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my sponsee and I went to veriouse places.
We contacted churchs, spoke to other service peaple in recovery.
Looked and consisder veriouse options.
Just keep reaching out. Do the best that you can and turn it over.
After all...it is God's meeting
Old 04-13-2006, 08:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't forget your local chamber of commerce.

Also many fire depts have a club room thats available.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started a meeting at 11pm on saturday night, we were shooting for 12am, but we couldn't find a meeting place. We finally asked the local Jewish Temple and they gave us the OK for 11pm. I would try temple's too. I went with my sponsor and a sponsee, so it was 3 of us. We explained what NA is and what we do and brought the basic text, the white book and a few IP's. It was a success. I'll be starting a new meeting where I live, which is 30 miles away from where my whole life has been centered since I got clean. I'm looking foward to it.