Staying in Control

Old 04-10-2006, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Staying in Control

Compared to most endeavors, controlling yourself is relatively simple and easy. And when you're able to control your own thoughts, words and actions, there is no limit to what you can accomplish.

To control yourself requires no other person's permission, cooperation or assistance. To control yourself requires no special knowledge, skill or equipment.

What it does require is a compelling reason. When the reason why is meaningful enough, you will have no trouble finding the will and the means to control your own life.

That's why it is so important to have a clear sense of where you intend to go and why. Connecting with your purpose will keep you in control, and staying in control will carry you to achievement.

There is a purpose within you that is stronger than the temptations and distractions. There is a solid, meaningful reason that will compel you to carefully and effectively control all that you do.

The more fully you know and express that purpose, the more surely and reliably you'll be in control. And the more completely you exercise control over yourself, the higher your life will rise.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 04-10-2006, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To control yourself requires no special knowledge, skill or equipment.
I'm not sure - I think there is both skill and knowledge involved. People when they are young have had less chance to learn the 'how' part, sometimes life can give more opportunity to learn 'how' to control ourselves.

From memory I believe the Dalia Lama suggests we should be most grateful to those we find difficult because they are our best teachers in not losing self control (in his thinking acting with compassion as the primary purpose of self control).

I also notice that there's a graet deal of evidence suggesting where language is hindered people more quickly become frustrated and perhaps more easily lose self control.

I have witnessed that as people learn better how to express themselves with language, controlling themselves also becomes easier.

Again from memory I have read that a persons chances of beating addiction longterm are not effected by predominently IQ - but are heavily effected by ability to articulate, to express ourselves.

I believe it's a skill, one that's worth practising, one that has a huge payoff!!