Notices

About to lose everything

Old 04-08-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
run

About to lose everything

Although it's not a strong topic on this site I think all us addicts sooner or later face some financial burdens due to our addiction. I am now facing some very difficult decisions and would certaintly listen to any advise anyone can give. Neadless to say I have spent a vast amount of money in the last 5 years on drugs. Money that was supposed to be for supporting my family' paying bills and operating cash flow for operating a business I own. But now it's gotten to the point we are completly broke and I thing bankruptcy may be my only option. I know that's not the end of the world for me and my family(staying clean is the most important thing for me to do) but this decision would not only effect me and my family but several other people and their famalies. These are my employees'which if I lose my home,land etc. I will also loose my business of 14 years. I realize people on this site are not financial advisors but can anyone share(I know no one want's to get to personal) with me , do you ever recover from losing everything and have somewhat of a normal life again. Thanks so much. RUN
Old 04-08-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Recovery from finances takes time. Same methods used as for drug recovery. One step at a time, Bite the bullet and do what needs be done.
Chapter 11 and chapter 13 laws have been changed as of last year.
You could find that toughing it out and not filing could be the better choice.
hamburger vs steaks.
home cooked bread vs store bought.
What ever it takes.
Tough choices but things may not be as bad as you think if you sit down and list it all out. Cut every corner and see if you can save the income producer (the business)
Old 04-08-2006, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

no shame in filing--you should do it to get it of your back and start a new chapter--dont worry what people think--just my opinion0-
Laura
Old 04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't been in the NA forum for a while, but for some reason I got curious today. Maybe this is why, who knows.

Anyway, When I first got clean I had nothing. I didn't even have the clothes on my back. My parents had to go out and buy me jeans, a shirt, and shoes to come from jail in. Like others have said, it takes time.

I didn't have a business and employees to worry about, so I know it's different. I just wanted to let you know that if you pray and have faith, stay clean and do the next right thing, God will take care of you. You may not get what you WANT, but you will certainly get what you NEED.

We are hit hard financially right now because my husband had a heart attack and open-heart surgery. He has no health insurance and the bills are starting to come in. He will be out of work for at least 3 months. We had to get humble and let others know of our situation (choking down my pride was tough), but donations are starting to come in to help us out. Let people know about your financial struggle, including your employees, and maybe together you can figure out a livable option.