Notices

Non-Smoking Section Please...

Old 03-24-2006, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Non-Smoking Section Please...

I also am not new to the SR site, but I am to this particular forum. I am on day 25 of not smoking. I have tried this before and was smoke free for 5 years and then for over 3 years. I’m using the gum which helped me to stop before so I am hopeful.

I seem to do well most of the time, but there are those days (like today) when one of my old triggers will put the craving into full gear. Anger has been the big one this time. Being a recovering alcoholic, my meetings are real important to my recovery program and last night I found myself so mad at an individual that I wasn't successful at forcing myself to listen to the folks who were sharing. It was so unlike me. All I kept doing was script writing in my head that this person would say this and then I would say this, and they would respond and that’s when I’d b*tch-slap ‘em. What I did instead was put a dollar on the table for the basket, got my stuff together and left 20 minutes into the meeting. All the way home I felt the rage and thought about stopping at the next gas station and picking up a pack. I didn’t do it, but I sure wanted to.

I’m going to work my way through this just as I have my other triggers and I hope that I continue not to replace the smoking with some other compulsive behavior. I haven’t been eating like the last time so that’s a plus, but I’m not too sure what to do with the anger issue. Just to let you know, this isn’t some kind of reaction to the quitting smoking. The anger stems from unrealistic expectations on another recovering individual. Perhaps I’ll try and walk it off… the bad mood and the urges to smoke.

Oh and another thing… my son downloaded a game onto the laptop and I’m now having technical difficulties getting on the internet from home. Isn’t that swell… That’s another reason why my meetings were really important to me. So, if anyone has anymore suggestions on what I can do to when those cravings hit, I’m listening…
Old 03-24-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome Aboard, Sheryl!

How to fight off the quick onset urges? I profess the black licorice bites. They worked for me every time. I was taking licorice capsules, and those helped some, but the actual means of having to chew on it, satisfied my Freudianesque oral fixation.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

Thank you for the tip. I can always give it a try. Besides, it beats chewing on this guys throat...
Old 03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have been amazed at what prayer can do for cravings and also for anger. I understand how hard it is but this too shall pass. Keep up the good work. I also want to stop and buy cigarettes sometimes too. (((((Sheryl)))))
Old 03-24-2006, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Anger/rage/resentment...hmmm...this in and of itself was a bothersome topic for me for most of my sobriety. I have just in the past few years learned a real hard lesson on acceptance, living in the moment, prayer, meditation, turning it over, and positive thinking.

A guy that helped get me sober when I was in and out of the doors of AA has designated himself as my non-smoking sponsor. He told me before I pick up a cigarette I better call him. Then he leveled me "that look". I programmed him into my cell phone and thankfully haven't needed to call him yet. It really helps though knowing that just like sobriety, someone's there watching my back for not smoking.

When I'm feeling strong emotions like anger, frustration, RID, whatever, I exercise. The more intense I feel, the harder I exercise...whether it's riding bike, walking, skating, jogging, gardening, weeding, something that's going to wear me out...along with praying...using the "resentment prayer" if needed, re-reading the acceptance pamphlet, or re-reading the part about "...and acceptance is the answer to all my problems."

Good luck to you, congrats on NOT picking up!!!
Jen
Old 03-25-2006, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Nice to see you on this section as well.

Terribel but, I try and avoid everyone smoking. I'll chat with them inside but, outside the meeting, I avoid the temptaion of smelling the smoke

You've got enough time in AA this is a pc. of cake
Old 03-25-2006, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to the non smoking section, Sheryl!
Learn new behaviors and deal with the emotions underlying those cravings.
That's the best advice I got from my smoke cessation counselor.
Smoking is 90% behavioral;10% addiction. Change the behaviors. Long term and short term.
Greet the emotions and do what you need to, in order to deal with them.
And all of it is one day at a time.

Good to see you here.
Remember to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!