Notices

First Week

Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Yiggi iggi oh!

First Week

Hi everyone, I'm making my first post here to tell you all that this is my 7th day clean off opiates. I was getting bad on oxycontin and tryed heroin for the first time when I knew it was a time to change my life. I just turned 20, and this is not how I pictured myself.

The first few days were terrible as usual, but as everyday progresses, I feel so much better. I always told myself I would never become an addict, but it crept up on me.

The problem is, all my close friends are addicts. I still go out everynight with them and hangout, and I'm trying my hardest to get them to stay clean with me.

I feel really good about myself because I talked my friend out of buying last night, and today is his 3rd day clean. He looks like hell, but I know he's trying, and it feels good because I don't have anyone in my life I can go through with this besides him.

I'm afraid because I know he will give in, but what about me? I have money and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

I don't know how long I can hold on...
Old 03-09-2006, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Iceberg

Hanging wit my druggin and drinkin buddies made it impossible for me to get clean for long. And every time I wound up using before I got any of them straight.

have you tried NA meetings? They helped me find some new company that wanted to stay clean and help me get through the rough spots.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yiggi iggi oh!

Thanks for such a quick reply, I've been sitting here browsing the forums unable to sleep.

I haven't tryed NA meetings but I'm seriously considering it. I'm kinda shy though so it would take alot to get me to go...

It's so hard being around all my friends, but I can't just stop seeing them, that would just make my life harder. I'm going to try to be as strong as I can be and not give in.

I will keep you posted
Old 03-09-2006, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It takes a lot for _anybody_ to go to their first NA meeting! I gotta say that hanging out with your old friends, even if your intention are good natured and to try & help them is a truly bad idea. You are not Captain Save-an-Addict and I can tell you from experience that, even though you might say no to the drugs everytime your hanging out with them - there's gonna come some chance moment of weakness where you say yes, and then the merry-go-round goes spinning off again. I came off heroin too and can tell you the only that has kept me clean today and every day before that is the Fellowship of NA. I'm REALLY shy in front of people too but I eventually just said "y'know, i've tried everything else in life - so why not give this a shot too - I'm tired of living this way and my life isn't over yet." My prayers go out to you and I hope you find the courage to get some much-needed support in your life right now besides your old friends.

Paul
Old 03-09-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Hope Your Still Hangin In Here!
Old 03-09-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
REZ

Try NA. It saved my life; it could save yours too. The only person you can get clean is yourself. Don't hang around your old using friends expecting to help them get clean. What is more likely to happen is that you will get loaded again. Hang in there!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Yiggi iggi oh!

Thanks guys, I'm really considering going to meetings with some people in my neighborhood. I think that would make it alot easier.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Yep, avoid hanging out with "feral people". They are still in the grips of the disease and they are dangerous.