Notices

methadone now alcohol

Old 02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

methadone now alcohol

I was(am addicted to oxycontin)using opiates, and seeked methadone treatment. I quit taking methadone and now I am substituting with alcohol, has anybody been through this before, HELP!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is possible

Originally Posted by kshow215
I was(am addicted to oxycontin)using opiates, and seeked methadone treatment. I quit taking methadone and now I am substituting with alcohol, has anybody been through this before, HELP!
Do not substitute, It makes recovery extremely hard!

Kris
Old 02-18-2006, 10:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kshow215
Do not substitute, It makes recovery extremely hard!
Yes, I totally agree. Being in detox from one substance makes it really tempting to try to dull the pain with something else.

Are you working a program of recovery, Kris? AA and NA has helped me more than I can say. I have tools and the support of people who really understand because they've been there.

For me personally, I am not sober unless I am clean and I am not clean unless I am sober.

Keep reaching out, Kris. We can do this TOGETHER.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Substiting Addictions Is Common For Us We Must Be Aware Of What We Feel, Think, Do At All Times Remember Alcohol Is A Drug...you Are Never Alone(na) Make A Meeting
Old 02-19-2006, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

kshow,
Welcome to SR. yes, many people have been through this. I was on a methadone program for over a year. It really sucked to try and come off of it. I ended up using again. Eventually, you will become dependant on what you substitute with.

Once I finally decided I had had enough, I kicked heroine cold turkey. It's hard, but it can be done. You just have to white knuckle it and perservere for a few days. If you want to talk or need to vent anything, keep posting or PM me.

Get to a meeting, and start meeting people who you can call to help you through.