Notices

*STEELY MAGNOLIAS for we GOOD OLE GALS*

Old 02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The Real Yellow Brick Road

*STEELY MAGNOLIAS for we GOOD OLE GALS*

Hello All, I am new here, Sover Recovery is the best thing since chocolate Bon-Bons! There is hope and powerful support and love here that is very hard to find elsewhere. Yes, somebody up there DOES love us!
Are there any women out there of 50 Plus, Plus and even Plus who could like to join in with a STEELY MAGNOLIAS thread? ALL women encouraged OF COURSE! A place to share and gain strength along with humor!
Besides love, friendship, support, experiences and sources, HUMOR is a great RX too.
I hope we can all become friends in empowered support!
Interested? Have Ideas?
You can reach me by pm.
Steely Magnolia
Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

*whispers*

There are guys here also

Still though... *LOL*

Welcome to SR
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi BEST, Thanks for your comment. I hope others don't missunderstand too. I am just trying to make a spot for we women in a certain age group. I see rooms/threads for other age groups too and that is super. Men most certainly ARE welcome too, and encouraged to visit! Ladies AND Gents imput makes the wheel turn! Don't we all visit the men AND women rooms?
Sorry if I didn't explain more. I guess I felt everyone of any age and gender would visit if they wanted to.
Thanks, hope to hear from you again,
Steel Magnolia
Old 02-18-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Banish th Beast

To all the wonderful people in SR! I am grateful for another day of sobriety, I used every "sobriety trick" in the tool box!
Made it through another of a multitude of tragedy "anniversaries" which in the past were big triggers.
Recovery and sobriety is a lonely road no matter what.
Here we can reach out for honesty, help and understanding and without judgement nor emotional punishment, which we all need desperatly.
**I offer these thoughts below to share, only as ideas you may want to look into. Not portraying any one more than the other.....just IDEAS for you.**
When I first began my "JOURNEY" I, for a long time did not know nor arm myself with tools, "weapons" and alternatives to beat and replace the Beast of Alcoholism...........I started over more times than I can count but continued to Pray, and Pray and Pray and Pray......FIRST I came (finallllllly) to believe what God says, that I am a worthy, wonderful person!! Of course it must start there!
Then came my own awakening. No one source, meeting, idea, program, nor any other ONE thing alone was right for me nor filled my soul and spirit with ability and hope.....thus little success.
To make a long story and journey short, I researched and researched ideas and options to fill my needs for recovery.
*THESE ARE SOURCES, TOOLS AND IDEAS I MIX IN MY OWN "RECIPE" FOR "RECOVERY ROAD"
1. Journaling. This simply means writing what you are feeling at the time. Don't worry about grammar, spelling or neatness just write. I keep a journal in my bedroom, front room, kitchen and purse...why because whenever the Beast pushes its thoughts into my mind I FIGHT BACK with words right away!! I also keep a journal on my computer which is handy too.
2. Lots of bottled water and fruit and vegatable juices, Ready to eat veggies, milk. Hard sugarless candies. Get away from sugar........! Try a little meal every two hours.
2. "A and B": Don't try to quit smoking and lose weight and conquer any other addiction at the same time.........One at a time. Again only my opinion...one mountain to climb at a time.
3. Very important. A quality mega vitamin and quality B-Complex vitamin, daily as suggested with meals and a full glass of water.
4. Of course AA meetings is great for many. There are also many other types of programs...............simply search online.
5. Make a long list of things you like to do or WOULD like to do. Make the list long and add to it....Keep your list in a handy place. When the urge/Beast comes calling in your mind.......blast it in your journal...pick something from your list and get with it.....Personal treats are great too like manicures, pedicures, any salon service etc.
6. Exercise! It doesn't matter WHAT, it matters THAT! In other words you don't need a gym. Dance by yourself, walk, gather some friends and walk and talk and laugh....How about your own "gal group" T-Shirts. Home fitness videos, fitness bands, balls etc. Pilates and Yoga are great!!! Like fitness clubs better?....great! Helps with the SLEEP you need too!
7. Get a makeover! Yes, this is great for Ladies and Gents and an instant personal celebration!
There are more ideas but will stop here for now. Of course visit AA sites for your local information and your local newspaper. Your local United Way can help too.
Think very seriously before doing a public online blog instead of private journaling.
Blessings-O-Plenty to ALL,
Steely Magnolia

Last edited by Anna; 02-18-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Steely,

If you're looking for women's support, we have a great forum here called Women in Recovery. You might want to check it out. Otherwise, men and women are encouraged to reply to all posts except in the WIR forum on the Men's Room.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I See Your Point

Hi Anna, Right. Gottcha. See what you mean, I stayed too long at the lodge so to speak! (Silly Me!) Should have popped over elsewhere after the first newbie message, I see.
I understand the nudge.
Steely Magnolia
Old 02-18-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Welcome to SR, Steeely!
I loved that film, Steel Magnolias!
You make good use of your tool box. Thanks for sharing that experience and strength with us.
I look forward to getting to know you as we both grow in our recovery.
Shalom!
Old 02-19-2006, 03:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Steely....Well done on your sober time.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

See Y'All Over At *Women In Recovery

Wishing you all a fresh, great new day! TO: CAROL and HISTORYTEACH: It is just so great to get your "E-HUGS" with your support! Love it and appreciate them and you so much.....Hope to see you over at W.I.R....Going there now.
TO: ANNA AND BEST: Thank you for your heads-up, suggestions and rules and support. Hope to see you both also over at W.I.R.
Love and hugs to all, see you all there,
Steely Magnolia
Old 02-20-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Exclamation

I mentioned menstration one time beacause I was in w/d and my flow was different. Well, the thread was moved to the womens forum... VERY immature, in my opinion. So, beware. Some cant handle girl talk.

This wouldnt have bothered me if not for the men that are allowed to vent about ex's here and do often. That would also be better forumed under the mens forum. Yet those topics remain here, despite the fact many are full of female bashing. Just my humble opinion.

How many threads have you read where a man is venting about his anger towards the woman that finally has had enough and kick him to da curb? MANY. Almost a daily occurance.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi BeachBabe

Hi BeachBabe, Thanks for taking the time to pass along your feelings, I do appreciate it.
Being new I didn't get the swing of things here and remained on this newbie slot too long and since my main focus is women, I was encouraged to move to *Women In Recovery which I did, just recently.
I do check and answer replys as I welcome and respect those who are kind enough to reply.
I don't mind at all if men contribute in a positive way to my threads, I encourage it but I do not read and participate in women bashing.....Had that been there and I won't let it in EVER AGAIN.
I invite you to join me and other great gals over at the *Women In Recovery forum. I would be happy to see you there!
The issue you mentioned about your menstral problems is sure to find helpful ideas and imput over there!!
Don't let this bother you a second more! Come on over and see me and everyone there!
I'm sending you a great big hug! Now let me see a great big SMILE!
I will look for you over there!!!
Much love, hugs and blessings,
Steely Magnolia