Notices

Lost fiance... relapse... still showed up

Old 02-09-2006, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Lost fiance... relapse... still showed up

I went to an AA meeting today and I didn't really feel like being there. It is at these meetings when, more often than not, I find it was the best meeting ever and I ended up so grateful that I went.

Then a girl was asked to share and she got up and started to share... flood gates opened and she admitted to relapsing after a few years with sobriety. A week ago she broke up with her longtime fiance and she fell back into comforting herself with a bottle. Pleanty there to wallow in and stay sitting in your misery right? I could feel her broken heart and her emotions were so raw and it was so sad. And yet...

There she was in front of us all admitting her pain and reaching out for help, comfort and reassurance. Her courage to come back even in her pain is a miracle to be a witness of it. It was really very touching to see her humanity and it lends so much strength to everyone else in the room who for those moments shared her pain and her struggle. She truly was not alone.

AA meetings sure can be a beautiful thing. I admired her so much for coming back and for seeking help. It gives me strength.

Just wanted to share that with you guys.

Suga
Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share Suga

it is an awesome and touching thing to see the humility in the rooms. We had someone who had 14 years, and relapsed for 5 months, come back a few weeks ago, and I was reduced to tears (a fairly new thing for me ) . A huge lesson to be learned .

have a great 24

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-09-2006, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Sugah.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA miracles....I just luv 'em!

Thanks for sharing...
Old 02-09-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Thanks for sharing that. It truely is an amazing program!!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugasnaps
It was really very touching to see her humanity and it lends so much strength to everyone else in the room who for those moments shared her pain and her struggle. She truly was not alone.
Oh yeah. Bottoming out on alcohol and drugs has given me something I never had before - compassion.

I love my AA meetings. We are a tight group and have an openness that I have never seen or experienced before. It is a safe place to be who we are in the moment - crazy in the head, ripped to pieces on the insides, silly and proud, whatever.

I love these posts, Suga. Congrats on your sober time. I am really, really proud of you.