Notices

pot causing depression

Old 02-02-2006, 12:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pot causing depression

I always wondered why pot affected me so negatively. When I even smoke the smallest ammount I get paranoid and everything around me is depressing. I cant help but think that I am stupid and music becomes foreign to me. I really feel threatened on it. Everyone I know loves it and I cant understand what it is about it that makes me unable to function. Could there be a predisposition for me reaction to pot this way?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess the first question that comes to my mind is "Why Bother?"

Everyone has a dif. makeup but I have heard often of folks feeling just like you do when they smoke.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

Sounds like an easy fix to me.

Don't smoke pot.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Pot - with age comes paranoia. How old are ya?

I quit smoking long ago. It made me wanna go hide.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Twin Lynn

(Sorry to butt in on this thread...but Windysan!! Remember me from the HB asylum??? TwinnLynn? How the heck are you? What in the world were YOU banned for??)

Lynn :-)

PS Pot was never my thing.....I found myself just staring into space with absolutely nothing going on in my head. (...admittendly, sometimes a good place to be).
Old 02-02-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I already know I shouldn't smoke it obviously, but I want to know why it makes me so unfunctionable. I have never heard of anyone else haing the same negative reaction to the extent that I have. I was thinking that since I literally cant think on it or drive, that I must be stupid since the people who I know that smoke pot daily and are pretty dumb can function better when high than I could
Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know what you mean exactley. Well sort of....when I smoked crack the 2 time,instead of a good feeling. I felt like I needed to be watched for suicide.
I flet like bawling. I don't know why. I never toughed it again.
It was a strange experience to say the least! Pot makes pretty much everyone pariniod.People try to act cool but whenb they here a car door slam, they think it's a nark. Joe
Old 02-02-2006, 05:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

I smoked pot for a number of years and enjoyed it, but it stopped working. It took more and more to get the high feeling, which would last only a short time, then I would be tired, paranoid, dazed, depressed (burned out). I am so glad I don't do that anymore and I owe my freedom from pot to NA.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by rbozz
I already know I shouldn't smoke it obviously, but I want to know why it makes me so unfunctionable. I have never heard of anyone else haing the same negative reaction to the extent that I have. I was thinking that since I literally cant think on it or drive, that I must be stupid since the people who I know that smoke pot daily and are pretty dumb can function better when high than I could
People who smoke daily develop a tolerence and get proficient at doing things stoned. I'm pretty good at it myself, not that it is something to be proud of. I don't think there's much I haven't done on pot, including taking and passing a driving exam. My body reacts negatively to nicotine, hence I have never become a smoker. People say I'm lucky for that, because it is so difficult to quit. Same for you and pot! Lot's of people get anxiety from smoking pot, especially if they don't do it often. And even potheads get caught off guard occasionally. It has nothing to do with being stupid. My unwillingness to quit, on the other hand, may fall into that category.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I smoked for years and enjoyed it very much. I quit for about 10 years and when I was quitting opiates I felt that a few hits would help me calm down and get over the withdrawls, but it absolutely did the opposite. I became very paranoid and had a severe panic attack. I really thought that I was going to have a heart attack. This was only a few weeks ago. It goes without saying but I do not ever want to pick it up again and I am glad that it effected it me that way, the last thing I need is another addiction or crutch. I do not know why it effected me that way but I guess everyones brain is different. I suppose that if I really wanted to spend the time to build up a tolerance I would get over it but I don't feel that it is worth the crap I would have to go to in order to get to that point. My advice is take it as a blessing and stay away.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
anyone who ever had a dream

Hey,

Pot is actually a mild hallucinogen as well as a CNS depressant. A lot of people don't know this, or refuse to believe it ... anyway, if you're genetically predisposed to having depression or psychosis, you're going to flip out on pot. So, it's NOT a good idea to do it, ever. You could really regret it.

Also, there've been studies linking habitual pot use to schizotypal personality disorder, which is basically just a suspicious, eccentric personality. And this is for anybody ... ANYBODY.

Just don't smoke it, and don't worry about it. You're fine without it, so there's no use in causing yourself problems.

If I seem anti-pot, then it's because I researched it a lot to figure out why my best friends changed after becoming potheads. Not everybody has negative side effects from pot ... but a lot do. A whole lot, and most of my friends are of that category. I have one friend that used to be really ambitious, and now he can barely do anything. And he's ... um, weird. To put it nicely.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

How can it be a CNS depressant when it increases heart rate?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
How can it be a CNS depressant when it increases heart rate?
Just look it up. Anxiety causes an increased heart rate, probably caused by its hallucinogenic properties. Maybe that's why, but I don't feel the need to defend my position. This is what I found when I researched the drug.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllThatGlitters
if you're genetically predisposed to having depression or psychosis, you're going to flip out on pot.
Thank you, this makes sense. It also scares me that I might be mentally unstable, or will be in the future. Friends would try to get me to take acid with them and I wouldn't do it because I was scared of losing it knowing that I couldn't stand pot. In my mind I can imagine the insane things I would start to do while hallucinating and the thoughts I might have, even though I have never done it, if that makes sense. In small doses, pot is a central nervous system depressant, and I would usually only smoke a small ammount. In high doses it is more of a hallucinogen. I really Fing hate that people feel the need to get you to hallucinate with them. I always wanted to see what my friends were like while hallucinating, but they would have felt insecure about it. It makes me hate acid even more
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by AllThatGlitters
Just look it up. Anxiety causes an increased heart rate, probably caused by its hallucinogenic properties. Maybe that's why, but I don't feel the need to defend my position. This is what I found when I researched the drug.
I wasn't attacking your position. You sounded like you had done fairly extensive research and I thought you might have the answer.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

People with a nervous, depressed propensity are likely to become worse after smoking pot. I've smoked pot probarbly 8 times in my life and only once was it mildly enjoyable. The rest of the time I would stare into space and if people would try to involve me in a conversation, my contribution would be inappropriate. I hate the stuff. I've seen what it's done to others. Some of these people - I can't tell if they're stoned or straight anymore - they act the same under both circumstances.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

if it makes you feel uncomfortable.. dont do it.
its not an insanity indicator, its just another plant containing psychoactive compounds that some peoples brains will welcome and others wont.
my brain disagrees with marijuana/thc, but agrees with poppy/opium derivatives.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob
I wasn't attacking your position. You sounded like you had done fairly extensive research and I thought you might have the answer.
No problem, doorknob. My reply speaks for itself, hehe ... I smoked enough pot when I was younger to make myself periodically defensive and paranoid.

And I don't have the answer to that question, but I'd imagine it has something to do with anxiety.