Notices

Joining In

Old 02-01-2006, 04:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

Cool Joining In

Hi Guys!

Thought I would join in here, as it has been one week today since I stopped smoking. I have been reading in this forum for the past few days and I'm impressed with the courage and committment I see from all who want to be free from this ugly addiction and I could certainly use some of that positive attitude for myself!

My physical cravings have greatly diminished, but I am now noticing that the emotional cravings are starting to surface. My mind is still fairly fuzzy and unbalanced, and the queasiness in my stomach is making it difficult to eat well, but as uncomfortable as the withdrawal is, I still have no desire to pick up a smoke.

So, I just wanted to say 'Hi' and thanks for being here...............

and Captain............. please please send back our geese!

Peace
cj
Old 02-01-2006, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hiya, CJ and welcome to the non smoking section!
Congratulations on one week!!! Hell week is over!!!
How long ya been quit? Are you using any NRT or zyban or anything?
You know it's those psychological cravings that cause most people to fail in their quit. So, start developing new strategies; and most importantly, new, positive behaviors to replace that negative behavior of smoking. That's your best bet to staying smoke free.
Let us know how it's going. Do the morning check in. It helps to be held accountable.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

Thank You for the welcome!

Today is day eight and I am using no nicotine replacement to help me. I used some nicotine gum for the first four days, but I really didn't enjoy chewing it. So, it's been just me and my Higher Power for the past few days, and I have had the luxury of staying home and sweating the worst of this out in private.

I have smoked for 32 years with only a few short breaks of not smoking throughout the years. I would say about 4 times for about 3 months each. The last time I quit was in my first year of recovery, but there came a day when I was overwhelmed by some feelings that were emerging and I wanted to run and hide behind my using lifestyle and instead of doing that, I thought that maybe a smoke would work to relieve some of the anxiety. Happy to say that I stayed clean, but I used smoking to get me through an emotional time and stayed smoking out of fear.

A number of years have gone by with a lot of healing and many lessons and tools to use to combat this addiction, so I have been planning this quit for awhile and finally was able to commit to a quit day and see it through. I'm a little concerned as to how I will react to certain situations when I put myself back into my daily life, though. Most of my friends smoke, and although they say they think what I am doing is great, I'm afraid that they don't understand the full impact of this decision on my lifestyle. I'm not even sure that I do!

Anyhow, thanks for being here to help and I will certainly do a check in each day and keep in touch with you all.

Peace
cj
Old 02-02-2006, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
roa

((((Cj))))

Here's hoping it goes well. We're here for you.

Roa
Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Life!

CJ;
I quit when I was out of work on a stress leave. So, like you, I was home alone dealing with the worst of it. Then, I had to go back to work again. And I stayed quit. By the time I went back to work, I had developed new strategies/techniques for dealing with stressors and just everyday occurances in my life.
And so too do you. You've been developing them every time you rejected a cigarette.

Congrats on staying clean during that rough spot. Now, you know you can stay off cigs too. You've got tons of coping strategies. But, as Lonnie says, will power alone won't make it. We've got to develop new behaviors -- positive behaviors -- to replace the negative behavior of smoking.

You can do this. Remember the anticipation is worse than the actual event.

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!