Notices

State is taking meth bull by the horns

Old 01-31-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Post State is taking meth bull by the horns

<CENTER><TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>(I was so happy to read this, such good news)

State is taking meth bull by the horns
By the H&R Editorial Staff There is little doubt that methamphetamine has become one of the major, if not the major, crime problems in many communities in Central Illinois.

So it's heartening that the state is not only doing what it can to close down meth dealers, but also to deal with those who are addicted to the drug and in prison.

Methamphetamine is a powerful stimulant that affects the central nervous system and can cause users to hallucinate and become psychotic and violent. It's also highly addictive.

While crackdowns on meth makers, dealers and users have proven to be somewhat successful, but that leads to another problem: How to deal with methamphetamine addicts in prison and how to make sure they receive enough treatment so they don't return to drug addiction and a life of crime after being released.

Roger E. Walker Jr., director of the Illinois Department of Corrections, says the state has embarked on a new program to get methamphetamine addicts the treatment they need while in prison. He said meth addicts will not shake the addiction while in prison without treatment and that there also needs to be a support network once the addict is released from prison.

Walker is holding a series of meetings across the state to get input on how to set up such a system. He held a meeting in Decatur last week.

In addition, the state this year will create a 200-bed meth unit at the Southwestern Illinois Correctional Center in East St. Louis. The facility will be a dedicated drug prison and re-entry program. It will be modeled after a program that's currently in place at the Sheridan Correctional Center in Ottawa, which will expand its meth unit by 200 beds next year.

While in prison, inmates in the program receive drug treatment, vocational training and education. Once they are released, their re-entry is closely supervised. The cost of the program for the first year is $7 million, with

$4.7 million coming from federal funds, and

$16 million the second year, with $1.9 million from federal funds.

The pilot program at Sheridan shows that the treatment works. The recidivism rate at Sheridan among men in the program has been 50 percent less than the normal rate. The state's normal recidivism rate for males is about 56 percent.

Walker said during the Decatur meeting that the program requires cooperation among many service and law enforcement agencies. He also emphasized that the state will have similar programs in place for female prisoners.

It's encouraging to see the state tackle this program head-on. While it's an expensive program, the fiscal and social costs of ignoring this issue are much, much greater.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER>
Old 01-31-2006, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

Our state (Washington) is also throwing money toward the meth addiction stuff... sadly, it seems to be going to law enforcement and prisons.

I wonder what we will do in twenty years with prisons full of sober addicts with no social or job skills as they finally walk out those doors.

I believe the laws on the books are enough for law enforcement to do their jobs. I would like to see the money funneled into rehabs and programs that would allow the addicts to get longer inpatient treatment - especially for meth. The trend is going exactly the opposite direction. Instead of 30-day treatments, the insurance companies are deciding that 14 and 10 day treatments are "adequate".

I am still sick enough that I wish decision-makers in those organizations that pay for treatment would get some first-hand experience about meth addiction and then turn around and deny a 30 day treatment program as "too long".

.... wow. Sometimes I am still surprised at what is in there....

Thanks for sharing this, Done. It does seem to be pushing buttons for me today.

Old 01-31-2006, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

But hey...it's a great start in the right direction!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I, too, don't think locking up meth addicts really will help much, I think informing ppl about drugs and being open about their dangers and also setting up good programs to help with addiction, helps a lot more.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

i agree again with BSPGirl, and i still don't understand why doing drugs is illegal. :P jail didn't bring me any closer to recovery, it gave me more anger and i kept using, even harder. i guess everyone is different, but i am still for the idea that non-violent crime should not deserve incarceration, truly.

even after hearing stories of how jail helped people "see the light" i think that's their way of remembering and integrating the negative experience into their lives positively. i dont think it neccessarily "what they needed" and i seriously doubt that the treatment they are giving for meth addiction in jail isnt the good kind, with ******** or anything. thats too expensive to give to "criminals"

sorry im so critical guys. i do hope that more people get off meth, thats the bottom line, so i guess it really is good news. its just that new SSRI addictions don't help either. :P
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

and hey, once i get some land, i will invite the state to introduce the overflowing meth head convicts into my territory so that we can really help them get off the stuff and build a temple, as a vocational rehabilitation intiative.. meth heads will make great free labor, once rehabilitated.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Does this really need to turn into such a negative thread. Good grief. People complain cause there is no help for meth addicts, then complain when it's given. Is it so wrong that people put into JAIL get help for their meth habits?

Usually people are in jail because they commited a crime, NOT because they do meth.

Sometimes I just don't know..............