Notices

Get the food away from me!!

Old 01-25-2006, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Get the food away from me!!

Ever since I've quit, I've been STARVING! It's not just a boredom thing, like I need something to do with my hands and mouth. I'm just hungry ALL the time!!

I got rid of all the chocolate, and most of the other bad stuff in the house. (I kept some stuff the kids like, but I don't.) But I just want to eat! I am exercising, and trying to eat healthy things, but I've already gained 5 pounds, and I don't want to gain any more!!

Has this happened to anyone else? And what in the world did you do about it?

BTW, I REALLY miss my chocolate!!
Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Webbiecat- I have much sympathy for you. I quit 7 months ago and everything that is eadible had gone in my mouth. I did have a walking plan up north, that kept things to a dull roar!!! Since I'm in Fla for the winter I can't seem to get into the walking also I think that with the sun setting earlier it doesnt help much. I did by a treadmill and starting on that. I did find that using sugarless candy helped. More expensive but it worked for me. Also tried to stick to my Aktins more and that helped. Unfortunatly I still have 10 lbs to work off. Im hoping that with spring coming soon I will be more active outside. Hope this helped - we all have our own little plans that work for us. Now on the chocolate-hmmmm. Try to stick to the sugarless kind. Not as good but it does work in a pinch! Good luck.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To Life!

Webbie,
I've gained 3 pounds, and that's with going to the gym almost daily for about 6 weeks now... Muscle weighs more than fat, don't cha know?
Now, it's simply a matter of calories in and calories out. We know that.
I have had lots of luck with the scarlesdale medical diet in the past. I am wanting to get back to it, but, not disciplined enough right now. Here's a link:
http://lowcarblisa.tripod.com/thesca...diet/id18.html
And don't forget pedagogue's site, Struggling with Food
http://www.strugglingwithfood.com/Bo...oard/index.php
Hope these help. Don't forget the carrot sticks when you stop at the grocery store next time.

Shalom!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have carrot stick, and celery. But I just feel like I'm eating all the time! I mean, I know I'm really not, but I have been eating more than normal.

I get up at 5 and ride 8-10 miles on the exercise bike, and then lift weights. So it's not like I'm sitting on my duff doing nothing. Grrr! Just something to make me stop being hungry would be good!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Scarsdale diet and the sugarless chocolate.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

food taste better w/o having a coating of nicotine on our tounge
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

food

i know it is very hard to choose between gaining weight or smoking but friends tell me that you may gain a little weight now but later will be able to lose it as we will have more energy to burn the fat
Old 02-14-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Live Laugh Love

This is me today!!

What the hey is going on here?? I have felt for two days like there's something constantly missing, so I've been eating constantly. I've eaten a lot of fresh fruits and veggies, but also a lot of stuff that's not good! I exercise, I walk, I have a kazillion things to do but I'm forever thinking of FOOD! Help!

Blessings,
kathyF
Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

The thing is, nicotine IS a slight appitite supressant. Without it, we are a bit more hungry. Furthermore, we smell better and taste food better.

It's temporary. Until our bodies return to homeostasis - and equlibreum. Our bodies had to adjust when we first started smoking; it's no different now.

The average person gains 10 pounds when they quit; it's easy to get it off after the stress of our quit is over with. In the meantime, continue to keep busy, eat healthy and exercise. And trust this; your doctor would prefer a few pounds to a lifetime of smoking! No excuses here to get back to the nicodemon!

Oh, and have a piece of real chocolate once in a while. The trick it to have *a* piece!

Remember most of all to keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Binge poster

Chocolate for me. At the weekend I had hot chocolate, 3 dark chocolate kitkats and one triple chocolate biscuit bar thing, all in about 15 minutes.

That's not the healthiest snacking.

Must try and eat more healthy stuff and so not have to buy new trousers.

Actually, being serious, now that I've dulled down the pain of all the habit smokes it is getting easier and the compulsion to just have "something" (ie chocolate) is getting smaller.
I've given myself leaway over the last week but I think it might be time to get a grip.

Jane
xxx
Old 02-16-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

10 Pounds Argh It Sounds Like A Lot Anyone Know What It Is In Kilos? I Am Eating For Two People These Days.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Binge poster

2.2 pounds in a kilo
10lbs = 4.5 (and a bit) kilos

Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
To Life!

Beat me to it, Bahookie!
You are doing great!
Just remember, moderation is the key. One piece of chocolate -- the really good stuff. The rest, fruit and veggies.

Shalom!
Old 02-17-2006, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, if you're eating because you're hungry, not just looking for that oral fixation, try this: eat something small every 2-3 hours. And it has to be relatively healthy, too. For instance, cook up a couple chicken breasts and some veggies/salad at night, cut them in half and eat a 1/2 chicken breast & veggies every couple hours the next day, alternate with a salad or a healthy 6" subway sub (I used to buy a footlong veggie or roasted chicken breast sub in the morning and eat half at a time). Do this from the time you wake up until 7:00 at night, then have nothing. If you have to snack after 7:00, make it really light, like no-butter popcorn or some peanut butter.

You'll gain some weight at first, but if you're working out, after a couple weeks, you'll start to lose weight again and fast. After a month or two, you'll start to really get lean. If you can keep this up for 3 months and you hit the gym really hard, you'll be in the best shape of your life. It will work if you don't exercise, too, but you really need to make sure you're eating only good stuff and no junk food.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
To Life!

Yea, that's the GI diet - glycemic index diet. I've looked into it. It's excellent for maintaining a level blood sugar level throughout the day.
Here's a link for it.
http://www.ivillage.co.uk/dietandfit...659476,00.html

Shalom!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

mmm... Chocolate

4.5 kgs!!!!!

I've been eating chocolate heaps too! Though I'm now down to a Freddo Frog a day (not sure if they're an international thing or not? if not, picture a small frog about the size of a 50 cent peice- that won't work either - well I suppose, picture a flattened small frog- but chocolate!).

I'm starting at a gym this week though so hopefully I can loose the 4.5kgs instead of gaining it!

Jen
Old 02-19-2006, 04:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
To Life!

Jen,
Going to the gym is one of the best things you can do for your quit!
It will make you feel better; is a stress buster and you will feel it immediately if you have a smoke! That will give you a huge incentive to stay quit. Keep up the good work!
I know it helps me!

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Life!

Folks,
I'm still quit; it's now Two months, three weeks, five days, 1 hour, 0 minutes and 35 seconds smoke free. That's 3481 cigarettes not smoked, saving $957.46. Life saved: 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, 5 minutes.
But, I'm eating too much! I'm binging! If I didn't know the dangers of it, I swear I would make myself gag! I am getting out of control here! Argggg!
Cheeseburgers, pizza, buffets, sushi -- oh, I love sushi!
Help me stop this type of eating! I will not smoke. But, I can't do this.
And we shouldn't take on more than ONE thing in six months; otherwise we risk loosing all. I know I cannot effectively diet right now. And I am still going to the gym, usually 5 days a week. But, I cannot continue to eat this way!
Shalom!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I seem to be starving too. I can relate to what you are going through. I'll keep eating before I give in though. I have had way more experience in dieting than I have in quitting smoking, I have never successfuly quit smoking. I have been successful dieting, so I will worry about that when the time comes. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Life!

Oh, OneLady;
Thank you!
You put it in perspective very well for me!
I've never quit smoking successfully either. And yea, I can loose the weight after I'm over this hump. Course, my doc won't be happy about the weight; I'm pre diabetic and I have to see him next month again for more blood work.
But, he'll be very happy that I have kept my quit!

Keep the quit and post before you puff!

Shalom!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The 5 pounds have decided to take up permanant residence on my body. I have been eating healthy, and trying to eat fruits and veggies when I'm hungry, which is still seemingly ALL of the time!!
I ride my bike, lift weights, run with the shelter dogs, ski on the weekends, and trek up and down stairs about 15 times during the day for various reasons. So I'm by no means sedentary.

Ah well. 7 weeks smoke free. I suppose 5 pounds is a small price to pay for that!