Notices

my son

Old 01-08-2003, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bigguysmom

my son

I have been searching all over ... since Saturday when my son announced to me that he was addicted to oxycontin , vicodin , percocet .
I guess I have the typical story . My son's Father and I divorced when my son was 5 now he's 20 . to make a very long story short he at age 15 decided the grass would be greener if he were to move to his Father's which was out of state and I of course fought it but in the end I was left with no choice (had to let him go) , so of course our visits were short . No long term visits . So when he revealed this I nearly hit the deck , the problem is he tells me he was on what they call oxy for 2 months and went thru withdrawl himself ...( is this possible) I asked how much he did a day he (said 1 thats all I could afford) of course he supplemented with the cheaper of the drugs with percocet , vicoden etc... he now speaks of coming back home to get his self together . my question is .... is it possible to kick this the way he claims (doesnt sound so) his friend is hooked he tells me to heroine now (my son says he tried it once and vomitted 16 x ) and never tried it again , Please help I am trying real hard not to fall into denial . I've read more & more that with oxy within 4 days u need to withdrawl from this drug ....when I approached him with this he said (maybe I wasn't really addicted . but I know I didnt sleep for a week .... I need help from people that are familiar with this monster of an addiction
thank u in advance

Old 01-08-2003, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bigguysmom,

Welcome to the recovery forums. I'm so happy you found us, there are a lot of diverse forums here so you can get your questions answered and learn how other mothers cope in your same situation.

My drug of choice was not opiates, which is what they call your sons particular drugs. It is a very harsh withdrawl, however it doesn't sound like, from his story, that he was taking very much. I myself am an addict in recovery and so are most of my friends. One of the many lies an addict will tell you will have to do with the quantity of drugs they took and for how long. We just don't really know how bad the addiction was. I say addiction because if he was taking all of this pain medication without it being perscribed for legitimate purposes than it is drug abuse. Oxycontin is HIGHLY addictive. I suggest you go back through this particular forum and read all the threads on opiate withdrawl and abuse. Also read the threads about methadone. Methadone is usually perscribed for a person addicted to opiates because the withdrawl is so intense. However they often regret using the methadone because it becomes even harder to get off of that. Both of these types of threads will give you some insight into pain medications like you are referring to.

Also, I suggest you go over to the Naranon board and share your story over there as well. There are a lot of mothers in your same situation who have been dealing with this for years. Alanon and naranon are programs for the family members of addicts and alcoholics. You're going to need some support and information for yourself, especially if he move home with you. There are wonderful and supportive people on that forum that will welcome you.

Take care and god bless
Old 01-15-2003, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

NJ rehabs

Hi bigguysmom,

My husband was addicted to oxy's and it is a very hard withdrawl, and very dangerous. He tried to do it himself and got very sick. To be safe I recommend a detox. He was still sick there, but that's just how it is. It's painful. He would call me crying to come get him, but I didn't. The one that worked for this particular addiction (since then he has been in rehab for other things - he is in one now) was Summit House (Used to be Fair Oaks) in Summit NJ. The length of stay depends on the person. My husband had to stay about 9 days, longer than most. He had a very serious habit. It is a lock down facility. I think that's important in detox. He told me later that being so uncomfortable and feeling the withdrawl helped him to not use again. A rehab in NJ that is very good is Seabrook House. That is for those who need more than detox - it's usually about a month's stay. My husband needed it.

He did use again, but not oxy's. He then went on to various kinds of speed and drinking. Part of his problem is he is bipolar and has not been on the right meds. He is now in a different rehab, and is doing better. I have a meeting with him and a social worker tonight.

It's good that your son told you after only two months - it took my husband years to admit that he had a problem. And he was prescribed the pills from a pain management 'doctor' so he really felt justified in taking them. (If I have anything to do with it this doctor will be in jail soon.)

Best to you and yours,
c