Notices

Don't feel like doing this...or anything!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Don't feel like doing this...or anything!

I am kind of reluctantly becoming sober. I definately don't want to be a drunk anymore, but my husband (who I am separated from) went to an inpatient rehab for 3 months and comes out in a few days and it has affected me to see how well he has gotten. Unfortunately it's only been a couple of weeks for me and maybe I am getting sick, but I've had a headache for the second day in a row, and my daughter is being so ornary, and I just want to run away from it all. I hear it gets better but that's why I am here on this site. Does it? I don't want to relapse but I see it happens so much it makes me fearful...I probably make no sense, sorry.
tee2tired
Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by tee2tired
I probably make no sense, sorry.
tee2tired
Don't have to be sorry and yes you do make sense. It will be ok just don't drink or use today. It takes time and it does get better. I hope that you will be ok sometimes if we will do some reading or something like that it will take our focus to something else. Maybe write down 5 things that you are grateful for that seems to help also and then tomorrow add 5 more things that you are grateful for. I am sending good thoughts your way. You can do this.

Love Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes...
like Vic said... just don't use today.

The only way we can move forward is to deny ourselves that which keeps us stuck.

Your reluctance to get sober... and your motivation for doing so...
I hope that changes for you.

I hope that you do this because you want to live.

A warm welcome to SR....
I hope you stay and add your recovery voice.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the board Tee.
I'm on my first week recovery and I am still going through withdrawal symtoms, I get the headaches too, but stick with it, it is so worth it to be clean and sober.
Susan
Old 01-17-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR! Well done on your sober time!

Have you considered having a medical check up?
It's always wise...we neglected our health and sometimes we masked physical problems.

Take care...keep in touch..we understand...
Old 01-17-2006, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

The first 2-4 weeks for me were the big giant suck. I was cranky, irritated at everything, sleepless, my hands were shakey, I couldn't concentrait on anything and the urge to take a lil sip of numbing liquid was really really strong. ~sigh~ I sooo wish I could take all that away for you. I really mean that. I cannot.

What I can offer you is that it DOES get better. I'm 50 days sober as of today. Even I am amazed at this... it's 50 days that are all mine never to give them up. SR has been a huge help to my success so far. I also sought out help at AA meetings. What I found there is a group of people who are going through or have gone through what I am going through. It's helped me a lot listening to their stories. Something very strengthening in just knowing that someone else out there "get's" me. It's awesome awesome awesome that you are supporting your husband in his sobriety, I'm so proud of you for that. I hope that your reluctance turns into resolve.

For me, the turning point was surrendering and coming to a place where I realized in the heart of my heart that I have no control over alcohol - that alcohol had complete and utter control over me *IF* I let it inside my body. The only way for me to have control over myself was not letting it inside.

You can make the change.

Suga
Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!! I want to change, I swear I do, and I pray for that moment of clarity and for when I will surrender. But right now, I am finding out how truly cunning alcohol really is - seducing me into thinking I can control it, when I know that if I honestly look at myself I can't, but it doesn't stop those thoughts from coming. My roomate is having a party in a week, and sometimes I think I can and should be there...but who am I kidding, these were my drinking buddies! I need to lock myself in a box! I need alot of help and support since I can't get out to meetings right now or have the courage to ask for help or a sponsor when I do. I am so glad to have found this place. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

Don't drink, go to AA meetings, get a sponsor, works the 12 steps, pray/meditate, hang out with people who are sober and not your old playmates. It will get better if you do all those things--I promise!
Old 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

The first three-4 weeks were the worst emotionally for me. Yup a rollercoaster ride it was. Crying, mad, angry, happy, up and down I tell ya. It's very normal. Yes I promise it get's better, just stick with it. It's a very long process and if you find a means of support in your area that works for you, keep real busy, the days will click by. Do the best to take care of yourself, eat right, lot's of water, fruits, multivitamins and melatonin for sleeplessness. Sleep as much as you can and find new routines to keep you occupied. I'm sure you can find a few closets, drawers, cabinets that need an overhall
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Does it get better?

My God does it get better. My life is so full today, full of love, full of hope, full of promise and full of my HP which I call God for a lack of a better name. When I do God's work, when I serve my HP, my life gets so much better. My life only started to get better after I surrendered to this process for me it was the Narcotics Anoymous way of life. I got a sponsor I became willing to do what he said so I can stay clean. I built relationships with men in the program and I started to see my relationships with my family (birth) get better. I started working spiritual principles in my life and started doing NA service and my self-worth and esteem has grown. I started making commitments to my recovery and my life has never been better. So back to the original question? Does it get better? For me it does. There's no limit on how much better it will get for me. Life on Lifes terms tells me there will be storms, but I know I'm never alone, never again. I was so scared to deal with life, which is why I continued to use against my will. I have applied commitment in all areas of my life thanks to NA, I serve my HP today thanks to this program and if I could give you a piece of what I have or if you did what I did, I promise your life would get better. Keep Coming Back, I have visions without limits today and I'm happy, joyous and free!

jason