Coming Home from Rehab

Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting busy living!

Coming Home from Rehab

My AH comes home from rehab tomorrow. Almost two weeks in the hospital and then 10 days in rehab. He had his last drink on November 5th. 22 days ... the longest he's ever gone without a drink since I've known him but of course he's been in a "controlled" environment for those 22 days. Tomorrow he steps back out into the "real" world. They think he's ready. God but I sure do hope I am. He'll attend intensive outpatient three days a week. See a therapist on a regular basis and attend at least one AA meeting a day. As for me ... I'll get up everyday, go to work, pay the bills, go to my Family and Friends meeting once a week and come here for my therapy.

I'm cautiously hopeful but determined not to fall down the black hole with him if he relapses. Let the AA sponsor, let the therapist deal with all that. That's what they are there for. It is HIS disease, not mine. I can love him without having to pick him up when he stumbles. I can love him without having to clean up the mess he leaves behind. I can love him but not love the addict. I can give him and his addiction to God and go on my own way. I can hope but know when hope is pointless anymore.

I can and will take care of myself. Always have ... always will.

Wish us ... luck? No, wish us a safe journey without too many plane crashes or train wrecks. Sweet Lord above, please don't let either one of us end up as roadkill.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Safe journey to both of you Tomsgirl.
I hope this is the beginning of better days and a happier life.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tomsgirl - may you continue your journey and i pray that you husband continues his!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really really really hope life turns around for the better for you both. Change is hard even if it's for the better.........funny how you can grow old and still learn new things. Good luck.