Serenity. How to do it?

Old 11-25-2005, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

Serenity. How to do it?

I'm working hard at my program. I go to the meetings. I read the literature. I'm doing my steps (just finished step 7). There are days when I have even felt some of the serenity that Al-anon promises, even though the alcoholic is still very much destroying herself with drink.

But every now and then, the disease reaches out and drags me down again, and I feel like I am back where I started.

Any advice on how to do recovery when the going gets really tough?
Any kind word would be very welcome right now to help me over this tough spot. I'm feeling really hopeless in the face of this disease.

Robin
Old 11-25-2005, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Robin;
There are times when we are all faced with difficulties. I understand your dilemma; I'm there too.
When the going gets tough, I try to return to the spiritual principles of this program. I reach out, (as you've done here), and accept the help offered so kindly from others here and at face to face meetings. I try to do for others - to give back what has been given to me so freely. I remember that I can't change the world. I can't control the world. I can only live my life. So, I give the rest up to G*D.

This is a simple program; but, it's not necessarily easy. I try to remember the jujubees when I want to say something to control the addict in my life. I try to stick to my side of the street. I try to take care of myself, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. And each day, I remember to give thanks to my HP for all my blessings. That's what works for me.
And yes, some days are harder than others. But, as Ann says, the difference between a bad day and a good day is about two days. That normally is true for me also.

Good luck to you; I wish you well on this journey!
Shalom!
Old 11-25-2005, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redefined

Originally Posted by historyteach
Robin;
There are times when we are all faced with difficulties. I understand your dilemma; I'm there too.
When the going gets tough, I try to return to the spiritual principles of this program. I reach out, (as you've done here), and accept the help offered so kindly from others here and at face to face meetings. I try to do for others - to give back what has been given to me so freely. I remember that I can't change the world. I can't control the world. I can only live my life. So, I give the rest up to G*D.

This is a simple program; but, it's not necessarily easy. I try to remember the jujubees when I want to say something to control the addict in my life. I try to stick to my side of the street. I try to take care of myself, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. And each day, I remember to give thanks to my HP for all my blessings. That's what works for me.
And yes, some days are harder than others. But, as Ann says, the difference between a bad day and a good day is about two days. That normally is true for me also.

Good luck to you; I wish you well on this journey!
Shalom!

The two days thing... does that mean after two days things don't seem as bad because you start to block it out and forget, or does it mean in two days things usually get worse and make what seemed bad toay not as bad two days later?

(((Hugs to everyone)))
Old 11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

teach - thanks - your words warmed my heart.

Parnell - thanks - your words made me smile

Robin
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Robina, I know I find it hard when it seems that recovery isn't working. That's when I know I have to put a bit more effort into it, particularly by reaching out to others whether IRL or on here. I still have a tendency to isolate when things get hard - I am doing it at the moment and it is so difficult to get out of that rut.

Just remember - it is impossible for serenity to be a constant. Enjoy the moments for what they are and work towards getting more of them.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Robina…you are not back where you started. You are aware it is happening and you are not in the place you were when you began your program. Some days are simply better than others. Give some thought to the tools you have learned and use them. Detach, walk away, do something you enjoy, go to a meeting and this slump will pass…in about 2 days.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

JT and Minnie - So right you are. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Robin