Notices

I hate this disease!! pray for my friend!

Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a dear friend who is starting to show signs of a drinking problem. One time, his liquor consumption was too much, so he switched to beer. He has had a rough past and some of his drinking may be due to this. He is also nervous in social situations so he uses alcohol to calm him down. Last week, he was at a social function and had 4 drinks. I used to drink with him and his limit used to be 2 and he liked weaker things because he felt it quick.
He decided to drive and someone in his academic program found out and threatened to kick him out if she found evidence! He has worked hard at this program and should be graduating this year.

I know that I cannot make him quit, but I feel that as his friend, I should talk to him. I have experienced addiction first-hand and I pray that he never has to understand what that is like. His drinking may get worse and it could take his life. This is how horrible our disease is!

He will probably get defensive and a little upset when I talk about this, but I am doing it because I care about him and I don't want him to end up in over his head.

Please pray for him and for the talk that I am about to have with him.
It is out of my hands after we talk about it.

Love,
Cheryl
Old 11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going your way.

Hugs...
Old 11-20-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol!
Old 11-20-2005, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope he realizes how destructive alcohol is before he gets run over by the train.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopealwayz
I hope he realizes how destructive alcohol is before he gets run over by the train.
Amen to that (((((Cheryl)))))) I'll keep him in my prayers.

Hugs girl.......Denise
Old 11-21-2005, 04:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He said that he had 1 tequila shot
1 gin and tonic
2 scothes

but he was ok to drive.
I have seen him drink before and he used to get all tipsy at 1 tequila shot and I think he is drinking more since he is hanging around these guys in this AF program because most of the guys think it is cool to drink. My friend wants so desperatly to fit in and I think he is a great guy when he isn't drinking. He feels like he doesn't fit in if he is not drinking and he is, at times, uncomfortable in social situations. I told him that if they were true friends then they would respect his decision if he didn't drink. He could then let them get to know the wonderful person that he is.

One bad decision almost cost him something big in his future. I can see small warning signs there that are indicating problem drinking, but he may not quit until he tries to stop but is unable to.

I pray that he will see what addiction did to me and quit while he is ahead.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, like your friend I also get nervous in social situations. I've been diagnosed with Social Anxiety Disorder. It took me a long time to finally go and get help. I'm currently on 2 types of anti-anxiety/depressants. If your friend isn't already seeing a doctor about his condition he should.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'll keep your friend in my thoughts since I don't really do this praying thing, sorry. Please realize that you can't control his actions, try to be understanding if he wants to talk but keep in mind he's got to do it himself.